You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:12 am 

Quote:
Wonderland is someplace your son might want to consider for a summer job.

One of my son's worked there for years. One year, they were told all employee eating areas had a sesame seed and kiwi food ban due to an employees food allergy. Also, part of the regular job for that employee was washing down tables. The tables were not regularly used for eating, but it was a possible risk, so the employee with the food allergy did NOT do that part of the job, but he did the rest of his job.

Thanks AnnaMarie, but we live a rural area outside of Hamilton. (I would have to board him out somewhere.) But I am curious to know what types of part-time jobs other teens have had. Our options locally are limited. Farm work isn't great for him (he's been suffering with hayfever this season); I don't want him in fast food; and even the local hardware store has an aisle full of bird seed. Where have other teens worked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:30 am 

Hi Yakkie,

I'm interested to know too, with my 15 year old. My husband might bring my daughter to his office a few days this year, but it would be a long day for her. (My husband works way too much!) It would also be nice for her to have a part time job for during the year. She's too young for stores at the mall, you have to be 16. We tried a book store but you have to be 18.

The local summer day camps would have been ideal, since they're peanut free, but you need experience in childhood education or something like that.

Does your son have all his swimming badges? A job at a pool would be great, or perhaps at the local library?

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:46 am 

Both my older kids got trained as life-guards and swimming instructors. One paid his way through college working at pools part time through the year, and full time in the summer. Eventually he took additional training (pool manager, and teaches for the life saving society). The other son currently works full time teaching disabled kids to swim.

Libraries in Toronto have students as volunteers, they don't have paid positions for them as far as I know. (Other cities might be different.)

Nicole, if your daughter is interesed in working at a day camp, she should look into what courses she needs to take to apply for next year. (Or even March Break camps.)

These days even most part-time jobs want something - either experience or courses. Maybe McD's would still hire with nothing, but not much else will. Most places either want to know the person they hire is dedicated, or the laws require a minimum amount of training.

For this year, she could start the training, and do volunteer work. That way next year she has a better chance at a job she'd like, rather then something boring that she dreads going to.

(Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing. Personally, my teenage years were spent babysitting. Seven days a week.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:06 am 

You make a great point, AnnaMarie, about the volunteering. This way she also gets her community hours! I never thought of that! It's great to have other people's input.

Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:38 pm 

Thanks for your ideas. My son took swimming lessons only long enough to save his life but wouldn't go higher to qualify to lifeguard or teach. (As a child he used to turn blue in the cold water, it was tough to get him to go.) He could have been a soccer referee this summer but he's "morally opposed to being a hated official" :roll: . He could have coached younger soccer players but that's a volunteer position. (Also good for community hours - but he's already done his.) Oh well, he'll just be doing odd jobs, mostly for his grandparents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:37 pm 

[quote="yakkie"] He could have been a soccer referee this summer but he's "morally opposed to being a hated official" :roll: . quote]

I got a good chuckle out of that one. Don't you love the way teenagers (when they're not being totally defiant) express their opinions and individuality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:59 pm 

What about a video rental store?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 am 

Thanx! I'll think about that when my little girl grows old and starts to bug me to buy her a car :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Admin

How about Zamboni Driver?
My daughter and I watched a zamboni driver clear the ice at ur arena and I thought-No food allergens here!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:54 am 

It's funny - I was thinking of a related thing the other day when I was washing my hands for the billionth time. I thought that it would be a good thing for my kids to become surgeons (assuming they could keep their tantrums in check - see http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1319 ) because they would be in such a sterile environment a lot of the time! LOL.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Tips for teens (in general) looking for summer jobs...got me thinking about this thread again. Does any one have advice about good sumer jobs for teens?
http://my.yahoo.com/rogers_y_frame.php? ... 164&page=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I'm thinking that it's about time to bump this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:11 pm 

My daughter is starting as a soccer referee this week :) There is a zero tolerance policy --- if a parent, coach or player hassles the ref then the entire team is suspended for the next game. It is only for mini soccer but I hope that attitude expands to other levels since it is a great job since she never has to touch anyone else...

Volleyball referee would be good too as no hay fever :D

My daughter won't be a lifeguard because she knows she would not want the responsibility and also knows she would be too strict :lol:

Sporting Goods store could be good. What about a camp counsellor at a day camp that is great for kids with allergies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Despite the downturn, many offices still look for summer replacement people. This can be good if you're an allergic person because you'll be able to control the environment of a work station, bring your own lunch.

Teens today have great computer skills to offer, and they are cheaper labour - which appeals to bosses with slashed budgets.

Suggestion: Review his/her resumé with your teen to make sure they're playing up skills as much as they should (I did this with my step-daughter and think it helped her land a good job.) They're new to this and tend to undersell themselves. This also helps them to identify skills they may not have thought of.

Also, pays for them to learn how to set up a proper business letter - which, frankly, most moms could teach in half an hour. (And again, they'll get headers, footers etc. in a heartbeat.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Couple of other tips (can you tell I know teenagers/univ. students?):

This Gov't of Can. job bank site has some great leads: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/srch_eng.aspx? ... udent=Only

Don't turn to the classifieds in the paper - you'll find way more jobs posted online these days on sites such as Craig's List.

Good luck to your student!