You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

So, most of you are aware that our daughter got am Easy Bake oven for Christmas yjos year. Now she's discovered the cooking channel. :roll:

I asked how it made her feel to watch chefs cook so enthusiastically using many ingredients that she can't have. I thought it would make her sad, frustrated feel left out. I was surprised when she told me it inspired her. (this from a 7 year old) She said it gave her ideas to try and make similar things. She's picking up on concepts of balance in tastes (sweet and salty), intensities, textures and colours.

I guess we really do eat with our eyes as much as our mouths and stomaches. I suppose she watches this in the same way that I might watch a fashion show. There's no way I'm ever going to own a Versace gown or an outfit from the house of Dior but I can appreciate the quality and workmanship and I can look for those elements in the best quality I can afford.

Meanwhile she is getting a good appreciation for how chefs work in a professional kitchen. Watch them sprinkle cheese onto the omlette wipe their hands on the chefs towel and then reach into the bowl of pre-chopped peppers or onions. Contaminated!

She's always been terrified of having to take a challenge (saw the Dr yesterday and he spoke about possibly challenging with cooked egg but given her milk allergies and her asthma he's not going to push for it.) As she watched the chef poach and egg and place it on a very colourful hash, she piped up, "Maybe I'm ready to think about taking a challenge." :?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb