You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sleepovers
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:59 am 

My daughter is going to the first of many sleepovers as her friends are all turning 13. The first one is at a home where we do not know the parents - have met the mom and talked with her a few times and that is it. She was very good when I talked in detail about the food allergies. Then she asked "So she carries an epipen?" which made me nervous although I do feel badly for her since this is new to her and it is our way of life so it is normal.

Her friends are incredible with her allergies and are very cautious and I find myself relying more on them to watch for a reaction. I have told the mom that my daughter will not eat anything where she can not read the label and they are ordering safe pizza and do have snacks that are okay. My daughter will take her own cupcakes even though it sounds like an amazing Twlight cake! They are putting the Nutella away (hazlenuts are her worst)

I want her to be 'normal' yet I hope all will go okay... My daughter's only anaphylactic reaction occurred after eating a trace of tree nuts hours after her allergy tests so we think her tests got her system sensitized but of course we don't know for sure. She does not eat anything with tree nut or peanut.

We have an emergency plan printed for the mom, her friends all know of her allergies and most have been trained on the epi trainer. They know they can call us anytime and we have emphasized that if in doubt call 911.

Thankfully one of her friends wants to be a surgeon and delighted in trying the epi trainer :D

Is there anything else we can do to prepare???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Admin

I think you're handling it beautifully! :)

It is very scary to give over the role of supervision to others but as you say, your daughters friends are aware and supportive.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:45 pm 

Thanks Susan. I was starting to wonder if I wasn't concerned enough but then I realized that we have 'matured' in our handling of her allergies and it is a big step to not be overly concerned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

It's almost 11:30 pm.
Dd's got two friends sleeping over...well, they're supposed to be sleeping. :roll:
I think they're either too young for this or I'm too old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:49 pm 

Did the girls finally go to sleep?? We learned to keep the regular bedtime since they will talk for a long time. If the kids really need to get to bed for commitments the next day we put on the baby monitor so they know we can hear every word but now that they are older we have few concerns.

The party sleepover went great! The exact food that the mom had told me about was served and they made the breakfast that I suggested. Thankfully my daughter remembered her own safe cupcakes (forgot her PJs though).

It feels liberating to have her sleep over at a home we do not know :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:44 am 
Site Admin

She had a sleep over Friday night with two friends and she and one of them (6 1/2) got up around 1am (actually, I don't think they every really fell asleep) and got to planning re: Mother's Day...so they decided to prepare her father and I breakfast in bed...jam on a tortilla and rolled up, small cup of cereal with star sprinkles (how did they reach the top cupboard??), strawberry and apple (washed) and a plastic cup of apple juice and water (Larry's drink) and coffee rich and a strw (waiting for my coffee maker to go off)...covered with plastic wrap (each got a cut from the package) and placed inthe fridge...and then the WENT OUTSIDE to pick dandilions AT 1AM!!! :shock:

So...very sweet but not a good idea (all I could think was, I have to nip this in the bud or I'll be in trouble when she's 16!) Yes, they both get it now...bad idea...we live on a corner with two very busy roads...children get lost...or worse... :roll:

Thankfully, Saturdays circus school was rained out because no way was I going to take 2 very bad little girls to have fun learning to use stilts, a unicycle, walk the tightrope, or try out the trapeze! (especially when sleep deprived) So I showed them the weather report and told them I couldn't let them anyway because they were so naughty.

She's still sleeping!