You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:07 am 
Site Admin

Yesterday was the first day of summer camp. I signed her up at the summer camp that is an extension of her before/after school care. I figured that I wouldn't have much extra teaching to do.

I asked the counsellor to use my trainer to show me how he'd use an Epi-Pen and her stuck his thumb. I mentioned it to the manager who was there that day and left the trainer with him.

Because the pool is closed for maintainence, they were bussing to another pool. Experience has taught me to ask questions when the regular routine is not followed. I was told that a counsellor would take her epi-belt and fanny pack of extra Epi's on to the pool deck and leave it by the life guard. What actually happened was dd left them, covered up with her clothes, in the change room. (swimming is scheduled shortly after lunch)

Today they are skating. I spoke told dd to wear her belt today and to give the fanny pack to a counsellor. I told her that she will need to remind them as it is new to them. I told a counsellor of the plan. (deer in headlight look) I spoke to the manager about yesterdays pool issue and what I have do so far today. He will follow up.

I seem to have a good raport with him. I try to approach issues in a positive way. I figure we're both part of a management plan where dd is concerned. I respect his position and will always keep him in the loop of any communication I ave with his employees. I also offered to come in a speak with the counsellors extra training/questions and answers etc.

Two years ago I would have torn a strip off of someone. I guess I'm finding my footing in this allergy landscape.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 pm 

I work at a camp and we have very firm policies on it. Before they did training session, they had the staff do a show of hands for any of them who had allergies themselves, and a good number of hands went up :) Our camp rule is that every child with an epi-pen must:

a) wear it on their person
b) provide an extra one to be kept by the camp nurse

Their pictures are all posted at the nurse's station and their medical forms are all on file including what medications (Benadryl etc) the camp is authorized to give them. They wear the belt straight out to the pool and it goes in a large labelled laundry basket on the pool deck just before they get in the water. They stressed that any staff with epi=pens need to do this too, both for their own safety and to model for the kids. When they get out of the pool, the basket is right there and they get theirs back on the their way into the change rooms. It is a well-oiled routine :)

Also, at their lunchroom table, the list of kids in the group with allergies is taped onto the table. And when the staff do their pre-session phone calls home, there is a reminder paragraph to parents about the nuts, and it includes a prompt for the staff to mention any other allergies in the group. I did some parent pone calls before the session and followed the prompts exactly. I had one mother tell me she was glad for the reminder because she would never send nuts to camp, but now that she knows a child in her son's group is allergic, she'll make sure to wash his hands and face extra carefully if he eats any at home before he comes.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Fichot, I guess I had assumed that as this camp is run by the same group who runs the before and after school program, that she would be OK.

I have since provided the camp with an Epi-Pen and asked them to place it in their 1st aid kit. They have also prepared a poster with her picture and allergy information and it is posted on the bulletin board in the gym. (day camp is run out of the local high school)

I have given our daughter new instructions for swimming. I have now asked her to bring her Epi-Pen belt to the pool with her and hand it to one of the counsellors and say, "here is my Epi-Pen, please put it with the 1st aid kit". She has worn it so long and truly understands the danger of her allergies, that she feels something is missing without it, so I don't worry about it being left behind.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb