You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:36 pm 

I am still waiting for my 11 year old daughters first appointment with the allergist. For the last 3 weeks she has had problems with a feeling of food being stuck halfway down and occasional vomiting after eating. (this occurs at least once daily lately) I do suspect she has intolerance to some foods and there doesn't seem to be a pattern showing an eating disorder. I am wondering if anyone has seen this as a result of a food allergy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:59 pm 

my daughter (13 months) vomits when she reacts to certain foods. I thought it would be hard to tell the difference between the allergy vomit and the not feeling great vomit, but the allergy one is always projectile and associated with other symptoms. It's something you should definately mention to your allergist.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Does this happen with certain foods or textures?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Yup, throwing up can be a food allergy symptom. For me, this always happens when I'm having a reaction, even a minor one.
(And - not to put too fine a point on it - sometimes it's projectile, not always.)
But, throwing up could be other things too - e.g. a reflux disorder.

Great that you're getting in to see an allergist. To help the process, keep a list of what your daughter has eaten when the vomiting occurs - include all foods/ main ingredients (e.g. a sandwich with ham, butter, mayonnaise). That way the doc can look for patterns.

Good luck! And let us know if you figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:59 pm 

Hi dalbai
I think what my neice has gone through might interest you. She has asthma and is ana. to peanuts/treenuts and to eggs (out grew the eggs about 12yrs old) When she was younger she would complain her chest hurt (this was at/after meals) would say something is stuck or would say she had heart burn! (she was 8 my sister thought she heard someone say heart burn) At the doctor they would take x-ray thinking it was her lungs, would say they were clear go home. She always would continue to complain of this stuck hurt feeling she would feel like or would vomit. She was not eating anything she was allergic to. She is a teen and just a about a month ago they went out to eat and on the first bite just as she was about to swallow (anyone who has allergies knows what I mean when I say you think "oh ----" this is not good) Too late swallow happens. Now this bite felt like it was stuck so she took a little drink instant choke and vomit..... At hospital they never gave epi. said not an allergic reaction (kept vomiting..) They finally went in with a scope and found out her esophagus is small! With all that vomiting I had a hard time thinking it was not an allergic reaction. In the end I think my sister thinks it was a small cross contamination with the small esophagus together. This condition sounds kinda scary but once it heals from the scope she is just to take some kind of medication that I guess it to correct this and all should be fine. Not sure if this can help in any way just thought it sounded kind of the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:22 pm 

Now I know how my daughter feels. Tonight while eating dinner I had what you describe as that uh oh feeling. I took a bite and it stuck halfway down. I was not choking but it would just not go down, I had a drink of water and it did not help. All I could do was burp, and vomit. I had seafood Thurs night for New years and have felt unwell since so maybe my esophagus is swollen but not enough to be ana. I am wondering if this might be happening to my daughter also. This will just be another thing to discuss with my allergist next week when I get my allergy shots.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 pm 

Definitely - my baby's first anaphylactic attack sent the food flying about 10 minutes after eating (first he started with the swelling)

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:17 am 

Although my allergic child has never vomited due to allergies, he has complained of an upset tummy and /or a "feeling" in his tummy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:04 pm 

My daughter saw the allergist today and he said she is dermatographic, hives appear with a light scratch on the skin and hot or cold food could cause hives or swelling in her throat. She gets allergy tested next week so we will see what else turns up and what treatment he advises.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like she's hyper sensative. Perhaps, if you can figure out her allergens, this will calm down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:10 pm 

My daughter was tested yesterday and doesn't follow in Mom's footsteps. All tests were negative for allergies. We still have to do a milk and lactose intolerance test as this may be the problem. Otherwise it is back to square one because vomiting is only getting worse after eating.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 am 
Site Admin

:( I hope you get some answers soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 pm 

Well, today was the first of 5 completely milk free days. It looks promising, we had our first dinner together where my daughter did not jump up half way through to vomit. I really don't want her to be milk allergic but at this point I just want to know why she vomits so much and to be able to help her. It breaks my heart every time she tells me she was sick. 4 more days to go until we try lactase then milk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:53 am 

dalbai wrote:
Well, today was the first of 5 completely milk free days. It looks promising, we had our first dinner together where my daughter did not jump up half way through to vomit. I really don't want her to be milk allergic but at this point I just want to know why she vomits so much and to be able to help her. It breaks my heart every time she tells me she was sick. 4 more days to go until we try lactase then milk.

I'm glad that you are getting to the bottom of this. I really hope it's just lactose intolerance! I really do!

My mum is severely lactose intolerant... her symptoms are upset tummy, vomiting, and diarrhea. She avoids lactose and drinks Natrel milk (tastes waaay better than many other lactose free milks!). http://www.natrel.ca/english/index.html