You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 am 

My little one started carrying her own epipens when she was in JK (at 4 1/2 yrs old). We had just gotten them that summer before she started school, when we found out that she was extremely allergic to multiple mosquito bites, and at risk for bee stings/wasp bites. Knowing that her allergens are "outdoor" ones, it made a lot of sense to get her used to carrying her own epipens (and bug juice) on her person - especially considering that our school is the largest in the district (around 800 kids). I would hate to see her having a reaction while outdoors during recess, and the teacher/yard supervisor not being able to get to her epipens in time.

Rachel is now in 1st grade, and is well used to her "pouch" with her pens, bug juice and benadryl quick melts in it. The teachers all know that she carries it on her and what her "issues" are. They also know, that if she starts to complain that she is itchy from bug bites, she is to be brought inside immediately, and given benadryl. IFF it is affecting more than just her skin (ie, she looks pale, is shakey, having issues breathing), then she has passed her threshold of bites per time, and needs the epipen.

Our school has over 20 kids with epipens, and prefers that the kids carry their own epipens on them. Yes, in each class is that child's data sheet. The office and teachers lounge also have every child's data sheet. There is also a binder in the office that contains the master copy of all the kids forms/data sheets and any extra epipens the parents may have brought to school. Many parents just choose to send the kids wearing their own epipens.

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:21 am 

Our little guy is over 2 1/2 now and depending on who is with him he can at times be just a little too far away from my husband or myself for comfort (if I go into the bathroom I have my purse with me....or if he is off walking with my husband at our daughter's sports event he can be further from me). I hunted everywhere for a small epipouch and all fanny packs are way too huge. Another mom heard me talking and sent me to dollarama where she got her 3yr old's pouch. It JUST, and I mean JUST fits the old style pen but it does fit. I thought he'd hate wearing the pouch but he almost hasn't even noticed. I put it on him empty the first few times and now when we go out I put it on him with the pen in it. It is the width of his waist as he's tiny but he still hasn't been bothered by it....very surprisingly. The strap can be adjusted too so I can put it on over different layers of clothes if need be. I do feel better with it on his person ...and he at 2 is never alone with it on so he won't play with it or get it out by accident. But this way whichever parent is with him or our daughter I know his epipen is right there.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish