You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:28 pm 

I know I have a while...but I can't help to think about this now.

My son will be starting JK this September. His school is one of the school in Ontario that will be full-time JK. The school runs on a balanced day lunch system.

Need help with packing a lunch. Any ideas, help advice

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:56 pm 

Could you explain what a "Balanced day" is? I haven't been involved in the school system for a couple of years.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:27 pm 

sure! Instead of having recess, lunch, recess there's 2 40 min "nutrition" breaks in the day.

The day is broken down to 3 100min teaching blocks separated by the nutrition breaks.
At the school the times for the nutrition breaks are 10:35am and 1pm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:30 am 

I can't give any tips on dairy/soy free but what will open up your window of options is a good thermos. Our daughter takes hot dots in her thermos to keep warm (again, sorry I don't know which brand is safe for you)....and I put the bun (pre done with ketchup and mustard separate, at lunch the dog is warm and it's something fun and different.

We do the same with mini burgers. When I make bread I make small buns and then make mini burger patties. Same thing, burgers in the thermos, buns in the bag. A tiny rubbermaid container with sliced tomato and cheese etc. and another fun healthy lunch. My tip....when making the patties season and form them and then throw them into a pot of boiling water to cook or they will fall apart. If you want to when serving quickly pan fry to crisp....although our daughter doesn't mind (or notice) them just warmed up as is.

I tell you, a thermos has saved the day, by grade 5 I am out of ideas and now she will take almost anything for lunch. I hope get lots of allergy safe food tips and are able to go from there. :swing
School age...WOW....how's that concept for you going? :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:27 am 

um...school-age yea that came too fast.

Thank you on the thermos idea. It'll probably be how I'll go. He does like soups, and pasta. The concern is A. will he be that hunger come 10:30, and B. will it stay warm enough for 1pm.

There is a company that sell cute little balanced day lunchbags...I'm guessing that this balanced day must to pretty big in Ontario if a company is selling lunchbags for balanced day.
http://www.balanceddaylunchkit.com/prod ... hbags.html

He's a funny little boy to feed. Because not only does he have a special diet, he also has some texture issues. He won't eat raw veggies or fruit, but will eat soft fruit like in fruit cups.

I am lucky that the school is smaller and seems to be so far very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:16 am 
Site Admin

We don't have a balanced school day yet but I did seethis article a while back.
http://www.hnhu.org/images/stories/a_z_ ... ol_day.pdf

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:18 am 

The balanced lunch day is good and bad. Our daughter went to a school the past two years and a bit that had the balanced lunch. The good news was that they have more time to eat as both meal breaks are of equal length. Also they could choose what to eat at which break, if they felt like eating their heavier meal at the first break or the second break they could do so. The bad news was she never seemed to be hungry enough to eat a larger amount on the first break and by the second break she was over hungry. Since this past Oct. her new school (new board also) is on the standard system of a morning recess, lunch, afternoon recess. For our daughter this system works better.... and it breaks up the bathroom breaks also. So I guess depending on the child (and their mood which changes day by day also :wink: ) each system has pros and cons.
Good luck with school.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:34 pm 

Susan, thank you for that resource...very helpful. I will probably pass that along to my friend, her little guy will be in my son's class.
:thanksign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:13 am 

As far as the thermos goes, I always put boiling hot water in my husbands to help keep his lunch warm til lunch time. I dump out the boiling water as soon as I'm ready to add the food. It really works!