You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:40 pm 

One more thread from me! I seem to be hogging this forum at the moment lol.

We had the year end family picnic for school and the kids were all to bring their own snacks from home. (I didn't know til we got there that the teachers decided to bring chips & mr freezes, fortunately I was there and both ended up being safe). Anyhow, I had sent DS with a little bag of Smartfood and some other snacks. I saw him sitting on the grass with his friends, and giving them handfuls of popcorn. It really made me nervous and I had DH go and sit with them.

I appreciate DS's generous nature, and he isn't very interested in food (usually doesn't finish) but I didn't want them to start handing things to him. I explained to him gently afterwards that it's ok if he doesn't share, since he can't have anyone else's food, he doesn't have to share with them. I also said that if he does want to give something to someone he can, just to remember that he can't have anything else.

Not sure if there's anything else I can do. We stress NOT to take anything else, but what about giving out food?

I'm always so confused about these things. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:13 pm 

I wonder the same thing. Our DS is 3 months away from turning three, we emphasize over and over to share...meaning toys etc. as he is in the grabbing away stage. But I then have to reiterate everything I say about sharing with but you never share food. He loves to take something he is eating and share with us, a piece of apple or a cracker. As nice as this gesture is I tell him to put it back and it is his snack not mommy's. All our talk about share, but don't share must be confusing for him.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:27 pm 

I've told DD (age 5, finishing K) that it's OK for her to give other kids her food as long as she has enough for herself, but that she's never to take food from others. I also say that she should give it to them (ie pick it up and put it on their plate/napkin etc) as opposed to letting them take stuff with their hands out of her container as we don't know if there is residue on their hands from other foods that she may be allergic to. When we go to the park with friends, I always take enough safe food for everyone, so all the kids are eating the same thing, and there's less risk, even though our friends know not to bring nuts/peanuts. These are for small playdates, like us and one other family, not big groups. I just feel bad if my kids are eating a safe granola bar, then another kid sees it and asks for one, and then say no, I don't have enough, because I always have extra safe food in my purse (I have 4 No Nuttin or Enjoy Life bars in my purse at all times!)