You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: hot lunch
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 pm 

My son wants to participate in the hot lunch program at school. One lunch program is from pizza delight who have an allergen chart on their website, I also called last year to confirm the safety of the food with head office. We decided not a partake last year, but this year my son is asking to. We have worked hard to ensure that he only eats his own food and try to discourage any sharing of food in school. I told my son that it is safest for people at risk for anaphylaxis to eat food from home. I said if we want to eat there it would be better to go in as a family so we can talk to the server in person. The teacher also is most comfortable with my son eating foods provided by me. Am I restricting him past what is necessary or am I sticking to the food rules ? It also bothers me that at school they eat and then go outside where there is less supervision, making any reactions less likely to be noticed right away....

Aghhhh - is it black and white or isn't it ?

Post subject: Re: hot lunch
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Have you contacted the restaurant to see if it is peanut/tree nut free?
We changed from pizza once per month to a franchise called the Lunch Lady. It's peanut free so a lot of the students with allergies could purchase it if they (their parents) wished.

The food is packaged at the kitchen and transported to the school. No one touches the food except the cook and the student.

There is no need for volunteers to distribute the food and there is 35cents per entre that can given to the school as a fundraiser or deducted from the price of the food depending on how the schol inititally sets it up.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 am 

I have not talked to the local company, but I should go in and see what they have to say. Maybe I should bring my son, it might be a good life lesson in allergy management.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:12 am 

I feel for you, we are going through similar things. I feel comfortable with pizza from Panago, and when it's pizza day at DSs school I plan to buy him his own pizza from there. If you are comfortable with the allergy info from pizza delight than I would probably go ahead, but I would want to order some a week or 2 before at home so he can eat it under close supervision. Also, DH always attend events where food will be served, since I don't trust teachers etc to supervise closely enough.