You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The Stress
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:31 pm 

Most days, I forget the stress of managing food allergies. Then today, it hit me differently how different our lives are because of it.

For the first time, we are planning to trust someone with the care of our children so we can go away, just the two of us. I'm impressed that I am even considering doing it! What made me realize how different this little trip will be is that when I read about a bakery or a diner or anywhere with food I realized that we could go. No calling ahead, no skipping it. It feels strange and yet liberating. Yet sad that my child cannot have that freedom and maybe never will.

Our daughter without FA was at a party where they wanted to send home chocolate and she said no thanks --- had to keep saying that as the host repeated "oh, there aren't nuts" but my wise daughter would not back down and would not take the chocolate as she couldn't ensure it was safe for her sister. :thumbsup

Found out today that our traditional Christmas celebration is cancelled due to illness and we may actually host Christmas. What that means to our daughter with FA is that for the first time in forever, she would be able to eat ANYTHING she wanted at Christmas dinner. No filling her plate with safe food, no warning to stay away from certain foods, no reading labels at the party or grilling the chef, no request of the host to please not serve nuts. Ironic that the thought of making the entire dinner feels like less work than bringing her portions of safe food and trying to make it look like everyone else's Christmas dinner!

Most days, we don't think of how different our lives are because of allergies but today I sure did. Although there are many stresses dealing with FA, I also know that both my children have benefitted in many ways from the allergies as they are both mature, responsible and very close.

Post subject: Re: The Stress
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:22 pm 

walooet wrote:
Most days, I forget the stress of managing food allergies. ... I also know that both my children have benefitted in many ways from the allergies as they are both mature, responsible and very close.

I hear you :wink: There have been blessings in disguise. I had to chuckle when you mentioned making her meal look like everyone else's. I do that too. We've been "lucky" Christmas is at our house and I'm the cook... just the way I like it. It helps that we also have the largest house in the family.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy