You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:48 am 

While I truly appreciate that the school/teachers have my son's best interest..

The gym teacher wants me to look at the gym equipment to see if it's safe (latex free).

I have no idea how to deal with this..how am I supposed to know if things contain latex or not?

I did a quick look last year in Sept when we suspected a latex allergy, and I asked that she not use certain toys (soft rubbery)..I looked over all the basketballs etc etc. Nothing had a label, and most were not stamped with a brand name. His allergy was not confirmed, I had no allergist advice at that time- so I just shrugged and said to watch him and if something happens we'll deal with it.

Without replacing every-single-thing, how do we deal with this now that it's confirmed and we have the letter from the Dr. stating that he is not to come in contact with obvious sources of latex, erasers, pencil grips, rubber balls etc.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:09 am 

Great opportunity to work together with your child's teacher! It is fine to say I don't know but I will try to find out. Has your child reacted to any of the equipment in question? Do you have a list of equipment in question and the manufacturers? That would be a good starting point. The products won't likely show the information you want but the company should be able to help you. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:04 pm 

The adminsitrator at the school might have the original invoices for the equipment which might list the manufacturer and the part number. They usally keep records for everything they purchase.

This site might be of some help:

http://www.latexallergyresources.org/to ... oducts.cfm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:35 am 

Quote:
While I truly appreciate that the school/teachers have my son's best interest..
The gym teacher wants me to look at the gym equipment to see if it's safe (latex free).

No advice but I wanted to give :thumbsup :thumbsup to the gym teacher. As you said it might be difficult to figure out what has latex but I give him credit for wanting to try and ensure your child is safe.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish