You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:33 pm 

Since finding out about DSs PA a few years ago, we've had a strict ban on foods & may contains. So far, we've had the same rules for all of our kids, only food from home etc...

It has been pretty easy to enforce, with the younger ones in preschool. But as they move into Kindergarten things become more complicated. They still have shared snack days, but I will send my own from home, and NOT allow them to have treats from elsewhere, but without an epipen in the class.

We have spoken at length with both our GP & allergist, and talked to friends in similar situations who have had thorough discussions with Drs (Pediatricians, allergists...), and the general consensus is that allergy testing is not conclusive with younger kids who have never been exposed to the allergen. They may test -ve, but in fact be allergic (a +ve test would be more indicative, but there can also be false positives). And so it is generally not recommended, unless THEY Have a history of food reactions.

I'm really torn about how to handle it. I know many parents who allow other siblings to eat cake at parties etc...I am not at that point yet.

I am very interested to know how others have handled the situation? I may have bloodwork done on them before the start of school. Allergy testing (skin) takes over a year to book. Another difficulty is a lack of comprehension on their part, due to severe speech delays. They don't understand about DS's allergy, and that they should avoid certain foods as a precaution.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:58 pm 

I'm wondering the same thing. We keep a peanut free house (also exclude all "may contains").
We have not exposed the younger sibling to peanuts yet as we were told that a sibling has a 50% chance of having the same allergy. He is about to turn three and has no known exposure and I do not know how to proceed. We really don't get any medical advice from the doctor and she just refills epipen prescriptions for us. The pediatrician that diagnosed my son didn't offer any education or advice either. Just a script for an epipen.

So what to do with the younger sibling?

PS-I cannot believe how hard it is to go through this experience sometimes. So glad I found this forum a few months back; it has been a life changer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:21 pm 

I have no advice, but I am in the same boat. DD is in a nursery school that does a shared snack (I send her with a snack from home because she has a PA). DS will attend next year when DD moves on to kindergarten but I can't decide whether I will send him with a snack or not. We have a nut free home, he has eaten at a few places that we would not let DD (Ikea cafeteria, etc.) but has never tried nuts or peanuts. He has a slightly darker complexion than DD and has not had the battle with eczema that she has had all of her life, he also shows no signs of asthma. I would like to think that because of these differences I have little reason to worry about him but alas, I am a mom so I worry all the same :roll:

I have asked around with other allergy parents I know and many of them allow the younger siblings of the PA child to eat may contains and shared snacks but never end up exposing them to nuts or peanuts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 pm 

My teenager's list of food allergens is over 25 but her younger sibling has 0. While our house is tree nut -free we have never put restrictions outside of the home on our younger child.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:52 am 

I am hoping we can get there: "no restrictions outside the home" for the younger sib. I suspect I will always maintain a peanut free house while the kids are at home because I want one safe haven for my little guy.

My boys are like night and day for personality and physical appearance...hoping that means they are worlds apart for allergy & asthma too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:26 pm 

I know it's an old topic but for what it's worth: My four year old is PN, TN positive to testing and sesame, chick pea and lentil positive for actual reactions. I was terrified to let my 12 month old try food not safe for my older son even when our allergist (in Boston, he WROTE the book, literally, on peanut allergies) said "go ahead!". I made him do a SPT anyway b/c I was too scared. All PN/TN came back neg. so with his encouragement I went out and gave him a tiny bit of peanut butter. Have only done it once since but so far so good! And we don't avoid may contain items for him at all. I was surprised the allergist was so supportive of trying since he is really quite strict with my older son. BTW we have just moved to Calgary and are about to get on the waitlist for Dr. Cheuk and get ready to wait over a year for our next appt! Things are very different here in the land of waitlists!

DS, 4, allergic to PN, TN, sesame, chick pea and lentil, EA, dog, cat, asthma
DS, 16 mo, former multiple food intolerances, asthma