You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:32 pm 

I have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease and I have been baking with rice flour, potato starch and tapioca flour. I would like to branch out a bit the flour I use (for example I would like to use some of the bean flours and brown rice flour) but I cannot find a manufacturer of these flours who can guarantee that they are safe for my daughter to use (she has a life-threatening peanut and nut allergy). I have been ordering my basic mix from a company called Duinkerken but they do not produce the other kinds of flours. I am looking for a source in Canada (I live in Calgary). I'm willing to mail order if I have to, but only within Canada because of the cost. Is there anyone out there who can help me? El Peto does not use peanuts in there facility, but they do use tree nuts and when I spoke with them they did not recommend that I use their flours because of the possible nut contamination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:28 am 

I don't know about peanut allergies I am afraid, but I am allergic to wheat and all my baking is based on coconut flour. I really recommended it and find it to be far superior to any of the other flours, that can get kind of bland. It is basically coconut thats de-fatted and ground into a fine powder, you can make pancakes, loafs of bread, muffins, wonderful cakes and desserts.... almost anything, and everything has been super tasty. however you can't make yeast based breads - pizza and stuff like that, but I've stopped craving all of that.

here is a website with lots of recipes using it (I recommend the german chocolate cake! heaven! www.elanaspantry.com ).

Like I said I'm not sure about nut contamination but there are lots of companies out there who make it - tropical traditions, bob's red milll to name a couple. don't know how much the shipping would be but I thought Id just recommend this flour, as I find it to be miles better than the other flours (which I can't have anyway because of other less severe allergies).

good luck!