You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:58 pm 

I actually had misunderstood that my friends' daughter was diagnosed with Celiac but she is currently going through testing for Celiac. The pediatrician suspects celiac. So far just the blood work has been done and it sounds like it has come back as inconclusive. Yet when I saw her little one today I actually gasp out loud when I saw her eczema/rash.

The little one in question is 15 months old and weighs just 16 lbs, she did gain a couple lbs lately so that is good news as she was 14 lbs for the longest time !!! She crawls and is active but isn't walking yet. She eats like a horse but until her recent increase doesn't seem to gain weight easily. She was constipated for a while but now has diarreah/large mucus stools. She has AWFUL eczema, I mean it is on her hands, eye lids, scalp, fingers, chest, legs, belly, her arms, her face. The backs of her knees and elbows are crusted thick with eczmea, it is raw and cracking. I would tend to believe it is related to something and not just a case of eczema in general as my friend said it can start to clear up by morning and as soon as she eats it gets worse and worse all day again. Her dd is bloated at times and isn't sleeping well/irritable.

I told my friend not to wait the month until her next appt. but to go in asap. The mucus stools and really bad eczema are all new symptoms since her last visit to the pediatrician last month. I could be wrong but I would say something is NOT right here. The pediatrician doesn't want her to try a gluten free diet as it will hinder the test results if they do in fact do a biopsy.
She is such a teeeensy little thing. :cry:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm 

It sounds like they should be doing a biopsy (ASAP), and she should definitely stay on gluten. It will be much worse for her if she goes gf and has to go back on gluten for the biopsy. DH did that and was very ill for the 6 weeks before the biopsy. My SIL decided to not do the biopsy since she couldn't keep food down while on gluten.

It could also be lactose intolerance contributing to the change. It is very common with CD until the intestines heal.

Sad for this little girl she must be so uncomfortable. Also sad for the parents since it must be hearbreaking to see this. I hope they figure it out soon and they are lucky to have your support!

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:32 pm 

Thanks Hiebs, I told her my (uneducated) knee jerk reaction was to say to cut out the gluten to see if she gets better.... but (no one panic) I added it is best to stick with Dr.'s orders (as she is doing) as they have a reason for what they say. Glad to know that that is in fact common protocol...awful but necessary so I do understand. After you explaining how difficult it is to switch back for the biopsy I am glad she is sticking with a standard gluten diet for now.

If this is celiac what awful symptoms to life with until diagnosed!!!! :huggy Hugs to all my friends on the forum who have celiac!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish