You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:23 pm 

My daughter was diagnosed with celiac this week. I'm devastated, although I suspected she'd test positive before the doctor confirmed the diagnosis.
Or whole family will be going gluten free as we suspect her brother is gluten intolerant, too.
Do I need to toss all of my plastic, silicone, non stick and wooden kitchen utensils out? Couldn't I bleach some of them to make it safe?

me: none

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:32 am 

Anything non-porous, such as hard plastic, glass, and metal should be safe after a really good washing and scrubbing. Silicone should be fine too, as long as there are no cracks or scratches. I would re-home wood products as they are porous and may hold particles of gluten in the grooves of the grain. I cannot comment on non-stick pots or utensils because we don't have them and I don't know whether or not they retain allergens. Cast iron would definitely need to be replaced.

Kudos for being so thorough. It takes a lot of work to make a home allergy-friendly (or celiac-friendly) after a diagnosis but it's worth it. Toss or re-home anything questionable. Spices, sugar bowls, jam jars, and anywhere that a utensil may have been dipped in will need to be replaced too (the contents, not necessarily the container itself).

If you run into any other questions please post them here. There are so many experienced and friendly people here to help you out. :huggy