You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Body products
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:46 pm 

I have been searching for shampoo for my girls for a while now (have been using aveeno body wash). All the ones we have tried aggrivate my youngests eczema, probably from the chemicals. I really want to try california baby, but can not find a retailer and shipping to canada makes it quite expensive.

Anyways, in my quest I have discovered an ingredient in shampoos, and other products that I suspected might be milk derived. "Glucose lactoperoxidase", and yes, it is milk derived. It can also be used in mouthwashes, lubrications, etc.

So, anyone know of a good vegan (easiest way to tell if it is free of milk/egg/chicken) and peanuts and nuts, and low on aggrivating chemicals?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:12 pm 

i don't have allergies like that but i know that for just my skin related allergies all the products at fruits and passions are great, they have lots to chose from and the scents don't bother anyone i know with those sensativites

unfortunatly you'd have go to their store for ingredient lists and what their products can come in contact with while being manfuactured, but i've always found their staff at various stores knowlegable, friendly and helpful so if you haven't thought to check them out before maybe you might find something there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:39 pm 

I am not familiar with fruits and passions. I am assuming that it is a store, I have never heard of it. Do they have a website?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:45 pm 

I can't personally recommend a particular product but I'll keep my eyes open for you.
I came across:
http://www.morroccomethod.com/
http://yhst-48641225173758.stores.yahoo ... totoe.html
http://www.bewellstaywell.com/hair_care.htm
but I haven't verified that they are free of all of your allergens -- it's crazy how much nut oils are used in heath and beauty products!! Good luck with your search!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:50 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
I am not familiar with fruits and passions. I am assuming that it is a store, I have never heard of it. Do they have a website?

Canadian website: http://ca.fruits-passion.com/en/index.asp

Don't see any shampoos though....

Last edited by Storm on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:51 pm 

Fruits and Passion http://ca.fruits-passion.com/en/index.asp It doesn't look like they have a hair care line. I could be wrong but I'm a little suspicious of their ingredients. It looks as though they have a location in Saskatoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:19 pm 

Might just be me but I've always found Fruits & Passion products to have a very strong scent.

There is a Quebec company that I really like called Druide that is supposed to be very natural. I guess it depends on what bothers you, though (such as herbs and plants), whether you would like it or not.

http://www.healthyhomeservices.ca/produ ... ductID=276 says this about Druide shampoo: "A special all natural shampoo formulated from renewable resources and without chemical preservatives, dyes or scents. This lovely shampoo has been formulated to be suitable for the chemically sensitive."

The Druide website is http://www.druide.ca/catalog/default.ph ... anguage=en

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:36 am 

Quote:
it's crazy how much nut oils are used in heath and beauty products!!

Yes, it is. What was even more surprising to me is how common animal based ingredients are. With the milk/egg/chicken allergy and cats, dogs, I prefer to avoid any animal based ingredient (such as lanolin). I have also not tried sesame with the girls and sesame oil seems to be in a lot too. I had tried the aveeno oil, but the girls just have too much hair! Their hair felt oily. The oldest has waist lenght dark, curly hair, and the youngest has mid-back length wavy red hair....and both girls are really thick.

I came across JASON aloe vera shampoo and conditioner at walmart. Hopefully the girls are okay with it. Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'll keep my eye open for them incase JASON is bothersome. Some of those other brands look good, but I can never find them in my city...it means a 90min drive to saskatoon everytime I need shampoo, choc chips, margarine (which I now have in my city for the last 2 months) etc. It gets a little inconvienient!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:43 pm 

Yeah, apparently it IS bothersome. My oldest broke out in small hives on her back, neck and face. Did not contain any peanuts or nuts, so I suspect something else in it bothered her.

I am having a frustrating day. I woke up yesterday with a cold, my kids have colds and my husband is away working snd won't be here to pitch in until saturday. Reactions to all things chemical, environmental, food...it is getting really old. Most days I am positive about all of this...but sometimes it gets a little overwhelming ( the head cold is definitely contributing). Everyone I know that has kids (with the exception of one friend) has healthy kids and complains all the time about how hard it is to be a parent. It gets soooo annoying to listen to people complain who are so fortunate to not have to deal wtih food, environmental and chemical allergies, or any health problems with their kids, every minute of the day. And those same people are like "oh, you are so lucky that you do not have to work". Yeah, I don't exactly have a choice here...I like being at home but I can not leave them with anyone even for an hour. Occassionally my mom will watch them but she nit picks me over nothing (always has), and the hour break I may get while she watches them turns into me being more irritated by the way she interacts with me...so it is not even worth it.

Okay, pity party over...had to share it with the only people I know who truly understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:51 pm 

Sorry you were having such bad day, Saskmommy. It can all definitely get you down at times. I hope you managed to find a few moments to yourself. Maybe a nice warm bath (with baking soda?) would feel good...

Hang in there. The cold will be gone soon (I hope).

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:37 am 

saskmommy -- what if you tried making a shampoo for your daughters (I know -- like you don't have anything else to do :roll: )
I know that recipes can call for various roots/herbs and such -- maybe you could stick to essential oils / herbs / flowers and fruits that you already know they can tolerate or use basic home remedies (the last link below talks about going without shampoo altogether).
I know it sounds ambitious, but it might be your answer?

Here's a sample of what I googled:
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2002/a ... lternative
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/rs_herbalshampoo.html
http://www.naturalfamilyonline.com/1-nb ... hampoo.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:57 am 

Hey thanks ethansmom, That sounds great. Honestly, what did mankind do prior to the last 100 years or so.

I like the baking soda, apple cider vinegar thing...that sounds real basic and non-chemical. I bookmarked it, and I'm thinking I will try it this week. If I get real ambitious I will try the other ideas. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:01 am 
Site Admin

You know what? Martha Stewart should hire us just for our aabilities to research how to make things from scratch!! :) :) :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:49 am 

"Martha Stewart" certainly isn't a name I would have ever said in the same breath as my own :lol: It's funny what you'll resort to when faced with a challenge!
saskmommy I'm so happy that you can use the info -- let us know how it turns out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:43 pm 

I contacted JASON to see if their were any peanut/nut derivatives in the shampoo/conditioner that were not declared in easy to recongize terms. They were unsure of the source of "glycerine (veg)" they assumed soy or corn, but were unsure. Surely even if it is not peanut, the soy or corn allergic would appreciate proper labeling :roll: . However, they did infrom me that they make products containing shae nuts and cross-contamination seemed quite likely due to the fact that cleaning between products was "less strict" with cosmetic products than food products. Given that I have little trust for the cleaning practices of most food manufacturers, the admission that they do less than "what is required for prevention of cross contamination of food products" does not win over my trust.

Definitely worth going all "martha" and making it myself.