You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 am 

what about johnson and johnson baby prodcuts?

i've never looked that closely at 'em but since they're for babies you would think that they would try to keep certain allergens out of their factories because babies are suseptable to being introduced to allergies, i know i use their shampoo and lotions to help my skin

also for asking questions and such their staff tends to be more on the ball becuase they do work wth babies are are terrified of losing their reputation (my sister is a huge complainer and gets free stuff from everyone and everytime her daughter has a problem she calls up the companyand she finds baby companies much easier to deal with)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:52 am 

We tried johnson and johnson products when my oldest was little. They were absolutely terrible! They were heavily perfumed, and irritating. I find that of most "baby" products. Apparently, that "baby smell" is a big seller of baby products. Even unscented, hypoallergenic baby dove contains almond oil...to mask the chemical smell :roll: .

I used to think that makers of baby products would be more knowledgable about allergies, sensitive skin, low chemical based products...but I guess the mighty dollar wins once again...'cause pretty smelling babies sell more products.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:15 pm 

Dustytiger,

"Hypoallergenic" products mean they are less likely to contain certain dermatologic irritants know to aggravate sensitive skin.

But it does not mean hypoallergenic in the allergy sense of the word. Many children's products contain things that aggravate excema. And some even contain nut oils and other allergens that children with food allergies may react to...

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:08 pm 

I'd have to agree that Johnson's and Johnson's baby shampoo has got to be one of the worst -- it is one of the most highly detergent shampoos out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:46 pm 

daisy - oh okay, i guess i'm just not used to thinking of things i think of as foods being in body prodcuts! yikes! it's all about how different people's various allergies react to to said ppl but you have a point... hmm if somone were to put out a line of skin care products that were sensitve to such things they would make a fourtune, we need some inventors lurking to get these ideas to the people who can do something!!
i've never flet so blessed to have the dermological type allergies before! but it really makes you think i mean my sisters are terrifed to "introduce allergies" as they say orally aka staying way from nuts, eggs, dairy, soy ect until their babies are older, and who knows what these baby products are "inroducing" in the baby products... scary

sask - wow that's gotta be so hard and you deserve a medal for helping your kids to cope with their allergies (a lot of moms dealing with these dilemmas do really), i never even THOUGHT of the smell because i find it pretty tame compared to most of the things that are on the market, and i certainly never thought about what it takes to make the "baby smell" or what it takes to mask the smell of the product naturally hence the reason so much is sooooo heavily scented
your right the dollar does tend to win out of over REAL concerns. so long as there is a profit these companies won't change things and won't gear to the minority who have the biggest concerns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:54 pm 

Hey dustytiger, thanks for the medal...it means a lot when others realize how diligent we have to be as moms.

I heard somewhere recently that about 50% of babies today have eczema. Honestly, with the crap in the baby products, laundry detergents and flame retardant pjamas that seep flame retardant chemicals into their bodies...I wonder how the other 50% don't have a skin condition.

Ethansmom,

I tried the baking soda, apple cider vinegar today on the girls. It works great...really soft managable hair too. We usually have knot issues with my oldest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:15 pm 

sask- that number does not suprise me at all. my neice acutally develops "wheeping wonunds" in her diapered areas when she has been introduced to certain fruits and fruit juices. my sister has exema caused by her intake of fruit juices (aggrivated in the summer time) i woudl say it woudl be safe to assumer the high presentage of those who don't have that condition have some other condition just blanketed in the "sensative skin" catoagory!!

i was in my late teens before i had a name for my skin condition, and it only came about by a fluke in an ER one night involving my asthma attack, and a young doctor who had never really seen a non-wheezing bronchial enivornmentally triggered asthmatic before, but had somehwhere seen or read about dermatographism.

seriously though parenting is one of the hardest jobs you can take on. when you factor in different dillamas that a mother has to take on, mothers who keep their annafalactic (i'm so sorry if spelled this wrong i'm a horrible speller)children safe do not get the credit they deserve for the job that they do every single day. since this not something that can be cured and thus go away. this is with the child for life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:25 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
Ethansmom, I tried the baking soda, apple cider vinegar today on the girls. It works great...really soft managable hair too. We usually have knot issues with my oldest.

Great! Thanks for letting me know. :) I'm sure you're going to save a bundle in hair care products too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:08 pm 

The money I save on hair products I can put towards organic foods :wink: .