You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:33 am 
Site Admin

We are planning to adopt a cat. Does anyone have a cat and if so, what type of catfood do you feed him/her? Have you ever had a reaction to the catfood?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:40 am 

I don't know, Susan. I noticed that your daughter has asthma. I would first double-check that she isn't allergic to cats, because once you have a cat in the house, it's really difficult to get rid of the dander, which can be an asthma trigger if you're allergic.

Just a thought... (sorry I wasn't more helpful!)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:32 pm 

for cat foods you'd probably have to for the more expensive brands, although milk should not be a problem because most cats are actually lactose intollerant, and their litlle tummies cannot digest it properly, to the point that some cats can get urinary-tract infections from too much... so that should be safe... i'm not sure about eggs, most petstores have very well trained people with ideas for what's good for your pets... pet food is pretty clearly labeled, i know because my dog is allergic to wheat so we have to be careful what we buy him!!

just a note about the asthma thing, be careful what little you buy!! lots of clumping litters produce a lot of dust which is bad for not only kids, but the pet too, non-clay based litters are great, and cats don't enjoy scented ones, but for the good ones you have to pay more, when i had cats (before my dad's allergies started to drive him nuts) the spoiled little beasts got "the world's best" clumping cat litter, it's corn based, dust free, doesn't track, obsorbs smell and last twice as long as regular kitty litter (it's expenisve but WELL worth it) and if you have another pet (dog) who likes to eat kitty litter it's safe for that too!!

sorry about the crazy cat-lady-esque rambling i'm a cat freak!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

She has been tested and is not presently allergic to cats or dust. Lol, she'd be in reaction constantly if she was allergic to dust!
The litter will be kept in the basement near the laundry room. This is the litter pan I was thinking of purchasing:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 33737&Ne=2
I will read the ingredients on the food. I was hoping someone coud narrow my search.
Thanks for the comments! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:35 am 

automatic litter boxes are the bomb!! i had a little maid for my little beasts, but that one seems even more fancy then that!! wow... yeah with those you definatly have to get the good litter it just makes a huge nasty mess

well here are some of the healthier choice cat foods that i remember

*wellness (this brand is like premium health food for pets it may be your best bet, but a lot of pets have trouble digesting this one, they get super stinky, and if the pet is used to something else they don't take to it very well)

*techni-cal (this one is canadian and is usually eaiser for cats to digest)

* purina ONE (kind of a cheaper option i found, it's got better ingrediants, i know that this line is wheat free and that's why we opted for it)

i'd steer clear of IAMS because the smell of their dry cats food are nausiating and the smell of the litter box after...

hope that narrows your search a little bit more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info!
Yeah, anything that makes the litter box more stinky is definately off my list as I'm sure I'l be the one cleaning it for now.