You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Chocolate Decadence
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:13 pm 

I recently found this company online. They offer a wide variety of dairy free chocolates. I am considering ordering some. Has anybody else purchased from this company?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

I just happened upon this article:

Quote:
Chocolate for everyone else
Small Eugene company sells its chocolate to the lactose intolerant and vegans
By TIM CHRISTIE
The Associated Press

EUGENE — When Sam Melner learned that he was allergic to dairy products, he was unwilling to accept his doctor's directive to swear off chocolate. "I didn't quite believe him," he said.
A chocoholic, Melner knew chocolate came from the cacao plant, and that milk was an additive to commercial chocolate. He started doing research and experimenting in his kitchen and soon developed what he considered a tasty dark chocolate made without dairy or other additives.
It was so tasty, in fact, that he decided to turn it into a business, joining with a partner to establish Chocolate Decadence, a Eugene company marking its 10th year in existence.
The company, with four full-time employees and about $225,000 in annual sales, is small but steadily growing, Melner said.

Read the rest at: http://www.mailtribune.com/cgi-bin/p/psafe/psafe.pl

Their site says they ship to Canada, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:16 pm 

They're dairy-free, but are they peanut and nut-free?

See http://chocdec.stores.yahoo.net/ingredients.html - it says:

Quote:
Our Ingredients

Sweet dark chocolate (contains sugar, unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, vanilla).

Plus, of course, the nuts, fruits and flavorings (in the truffles) of each type.

So I'm guessing that it is safe for those who are dealing with a dairy allergy, but not peanut/nut allergy on top of that...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:58 pm 

Unfortunately, there's probably no way they're nut free. I looked at their website and they offer peanut butter things, chocolate covered nuts, etc. Everything else looks so good though! Finally, chocolate I can eat. Now only if they'd figure out how to make those little Russell Stover Marshmallow holiday treats without milk, I'd be liking life a heck of a lot more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 am 

I just came across this company: http://www.amandasown.com/

They offer dairy & nut free chocolates & egg free. American based - but they ship to Canada.

J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:55 pm 

I actually ordered from Amanda'sOwn for Christmas. It is semisweet chocolate, but my daughter has never tasted milk chocolate so to her it delicious. When you factor in the exchange and shipping it gets pretty expensive, but to sit and watch her bite the head of a chocolate santa, it was worth every penny. When I spoke to the company they said they were looking into adding things to the chocolates like rice crisps and dried fruit, but that they were trying to avoid all the major allergies.