You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:37 pm 

Hi -

I am VERY allergic to Vitamin A and D enriched products - it is a rare allergy, and I have been having a hard time finding dairy products that aren't fortified, since so many brands are beginning to fortify EVERYTHING, including yogurt (previously my "safe" dairy food). I understand that it is illegal to buy or sell unfortified milk in Canada, so I am looking for alternatives - even an unfortified soy milk would be good to find.

Does ANYONE know of a brand of unfortified milk, goat's milk or soy milk that I could find? Is it commonly available, and if not, where can I buy it?
Thanks so much for your help!
Diamond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:38 pm 

I don't know of any of those, I'm afraid. The only thing that comes to mind is unfortified rice milk such as by Rice Dream (the non-enriched kind). Are you just looking for a dairy alternative or do you want something with calcium, etc.? I don't think unfortified rice milk has much in the way of anything nutritious... I sometimes wonder why they make it!!

I was going to suggest Vance's DariFree ( http://www.vancesfoods.com/ ) but it does have Vitamins A and D in it, so I guess that's not an option.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:34 pm 

Buttermilk isn't fortified. Some types of plain yogurt aren't fortified either. Some farmers used to sell unpasteurized milk even though it is illegal. The gov't recently cracked down on one farmer, so I'm not sure if it is still available as readily.

You might check out Hewitt's goat's milk---it is probably in health food stores. Not sure if it is fortified or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:09 am 
I am not sure if you are interested, but making your own almond milk (which are very rich in calcium) is really easy and tastes great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:09 pm 

Good idea Laurie15. You can also make milk from hemp seeds or soy beans. Neither would be fortified. To make your own soy milk, there are products to help

http://www.soymilkmaker.com/soyapower.html

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.