You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:53 am 

Our daughter seem to be having reactions now going into grocery stores near the bakery Has happened 3 times now in 2 different stores. Also has had a reacton going into someones home who had just baked peanut free cookies. Has anyone ever experienced this themselves or with their child. Our allergist didn't have any answers for us.

Her reactions have included chest hurting, coughing, rashes on face and neck and wheezing and a horse voice once.

Daughter is allergic to eggs, peanuts, shrimp, shellfish, oats, chicken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

I would never bring our daughter into a bakery after she experienced facial swelling the last time (3 years ago).
Apparently a lot of bakeries use dried egg powder which can become airborne. If it is inhaled it can cross the blood/mucous barrier and enter the blood stream. Also, if it can become airborne, it can contaminate any open container, surface etc.
Why risk it?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:32 am 

I've heard this can happen when egg is cooking too. I'm surprised that your allergist didn't have any answers for you--I'm pretty sure that this is substantiated in the medical literature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:49 am 
Site Admin

I wasn't told of this by our allergist when we were first diagnosed (I use the Royal 'we') either. I discovered the concept when surfing the net and have substantiated by reaserching products and their delivery and by talking to bakers.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:36 am 

At first I thought it was because of the seafood in the grocery store as it hadn't happened before in grocery stores that didn't have a seafood section. Now I am pretty sure it was the egg in the air at the grocery store from the bakery which was at the end of the store from where we were. I won't be taking her near any grocery store that has a bakery again that is for sure.