You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: calcium supplements
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:17 pm 

What is you main source of calcium for your children. My 7 year old son is not taking a calcium supplement but I am starting him on them this weekend. His main source or I guess only source really is So Good. He usually has about 3 to 4, 250 ml cups a day (1,000 ml total per day) which means he should be getting enough caclium.
I spoke with a pediatric dietitan very recently and apparently they feel you only get 30% of the calcium from a glass of So Good and she was not sure about the orange juice with calcium but thought it would be the same. Both are from a plant source and calcium is not absorbed into the body as well that way. Calcium from milk is absorbed better. I didn't realize this.
The dietitian suggested getting the "chocolate" or "fudge" calcium supplement that is diary free. One is softer that the other and she suggested the softer type.
Has anyone tried these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Dd loves her TGTBT Soy Milk that we have to water it down. We limit her to 1liter per day!
That and the fact that she loves broccolli and canned salmon...I haven't any calcium worries.
So Good also makes a pretty decent ice "cream".
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:59 am 

Thanks Susan. I have checked the dairy free So Good Icecream and was about to put it into my cart but when I checked the ingreds, it contained traces of peanuts or may contain - so that is out for my son. I was so disappointed.
Susan, what I just found out about soy milk with calcium is that only about 30% of the calcium is absorbed into your body. This was from a pediatric dietitian at a children's hospital. My son is drinking about the same amount as your daughter is per day and she said my son is not meeting his calcium needs because soy milk is plant based and therefore the calcium is not being absorbed as well as in cows milk.
I did buy a calcium supplement for him today. It is the Caltrate 600 with vitamin D. It is a soft chew chocolate flavour. I tried one and it is tasty. She suggested he should have one a day as well as continue with the soy milk. It is dairy free.

Last edited by bev on Thu May 19, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:20 pm 

With the help of some other people, I was able to finally find a calcium supplement that is safe for me. I gave up looking years ago, but someone started to "investigate" the SISU Liquid Calcium & Magnesium product (available at Loblaws) and I got curious as it looked like I could take it safely. I contacted the company and they garantee that it's free of milk, fish, seafood and it is suitable for vegans (which would add eggs to the list of things not in this product). My sister bought me some (I can't walk into Loblaws...)and I have started (slowly) to take it. I have not reacted yet, so this is a good sign for me as I'm allergic to milk, fish, seafood, and am beggining to be sensitive to soy... but I like brocoli! :wink:

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Bev and Mylene, thanks for your thoughts.
We're seeing a nutritionist in 2 weeks and I wil definatey bring this up!