You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: allergy or intolerance ?
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:55 pm 

My daughter is known allergic to peanuts, nuts and mustard.
For a while, I've suspected a problem with milk. I don't think she was ever tested for milk.
She does take cheese, and the occasional glass of milk, with no obvious reaction, except excema all the time. (are they related? I don't know but they could)
Tonight, we had a huge sunday for Mother's day. She took half of hers. About 1 hour later, she started feeling off. She threw up 90 minutes after the sunday, twice. She's shivering now, and very lethargic.

I'd notice before that she was always feeling off after a big quantity of milk, either a huge hot chocolate, or ice cream cone, or a big glass of milk. Cheese seems to be ok for her.

From what I know, it doesn't sound like an allergy, more of an intolerance. Except for the lethargic feeling. *That* sounds like a blood pressure drop. But what do I know? She's too young to explain properly how she feels (she's 6 yo).

She's currently sleeping in my bed.

Allergy? Intolerance? Is it a time for the epipen? ARGH! I hate not knowing when to make the decision!!!

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:17 pm 

i would lean toward intollerance, because cheese tends to be binding, therefore for many people who get sick when they eat other dairy products don't get sick when they have cheese, so lots of people seem to think that cheese isn't part of lactose intollerance

i think the binding effect of the cheese plus the sick feeling of the lactose combine and make it so that nothing happens i am lactose intollerant and took me two years to start reacting the same way to cheese as other dairy.

as for the lathargy i'd definatly talk to your doctor, it could be that her body is just run down from being sick to her stomach or it could be that she has a headache, i know that when i was just taking lacteeze pills i often got headache after i had dairy (but i also have migranes) or a combo of both.

i really hope that you're able to see her doctor soon, and get some answers since everyone reacts differently, keep us updated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:48 am 
Hard cheeses, yogurt, and milk are on the lower end of lactose. Some people can tolerate those, and then not tolerate milk ingredients with higher amounts - maybe it's lactose intolerance as opposed to anything to do with milk protein.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:18 am 

We ended up at the ER last night. I was just too worried, and she wasn't keeping water down. She started being dehydrated.
Doctor said it's probably an intolerance too, but he can't be sure. It could be allergic. So I have to get her tested ASAP.
And then, when we got home at 2AM, my husband told me that our son was sick too, exactly like my daughter!

turns out it's gastro.

Sigh... I'd forgotten about that one. Just too worried about possible allergic reactions to think of anything else! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:29 am 

Cleo wrote:
Sigh... I'd forgotten about that one. Just too worried about possible allergic reactions to think of anything else! :roll:

Cleo -- I can so relate to that! Someone on the board once wrote, "sometimes an itch is just an itch" and it's so true -- but when your kids are food allergic, that's number one suspect always.
I hope your kids start to feel better soon.
You might still want to get her tested for dairy to give you some peace of mind about it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:33 am 

I can relate to this one too.
My son came home from school one day this week complaining that his throat felt "really, really funny", and that it felt like he couldn't swallow. I ,of course, immediately thought of anaphylaxis, and my adrenaline started pumping as I reached for the epi-pen, and started firing questions at him about what he had eaten/ been in contact with at school that day. He looked up at me exasperated and said, "Mom, it's just a sore throat!!!" Sure enough a mild fever set in a few hours later, followed by a plain, old fashioned, run of the mill cold. :roll:
When the stakes are so high, it's hard not to overreact sometimes!

But with vomitting, lethargy and a suspected milk allergy, I think a precautionary trip to the ER was a good idea, and some follow up testing to figure it out one way or the other is a good idea too.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Last edited by twinmom on Mon May 14, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:39 am 

Thanks for the support. I feel better knowing that others can overreact like me..

It's always a tough call... Sigh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:11 pm 

I would definitely get her checked out for a dairy allergy, especially if she has a lot of problems with eczema. It's entirely possible that dairy is causing that problem. Just because someone doesn't go into anaphylactic shock doesn't mean they're not allergic to something.

K.