You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Commercial Icing
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:22 pm 

I have a 4 year old who is starting to be invited to birthday parties. So far, the parents have been excellent, making their cakes from my dairy/egg free recipe, so that she can have some birthday cake too. I feel so fortunate to have such people as parents of my daughter's friends. I am wondering if anyone knows a safe brand of icing (and cake mixes for that matter) that I could recommend to these parents (I usually make homemade, so I don't know) as some do not like to make things from scratch.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:01 pm 

I don't personally know as I'm in the same boat as you - I make my own since it's simpler and less stressful. (I wonder if anyone else has approximately 2 pounds of icing in the fridge at all times!)

If no one replies, I guess I would make a quick trip to the grocery store to see what was there and then make a few quick calls to confirm that it's safe.

Or is there any way you could make the icing and just give it to them to use?? (More work for you, I know...)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 am 

I'm not sure about store bought frostings, etc. but I do remember that Cherrybrook Kitchen does egg free frosting (as well as other dessert mixes, etc.) http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/products/frosting.php
I also came across this website: http://www.shopbydiet.com/products.php? ... info=0,3,9 . They are based in the US, but it appears that they also ship to Canada. These are their products free of dairy and egg -- but you can tick off any allergens you are avoiding and they will list products within your specifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:53 am 

I always have cupcakes in the freezer for birthday parties. I just do not trust even friends to make an egg, milk and nut free cake. I would be too afraid that a flour container, shortening container or a baking soda box in another home could easily be cross contaminated with a milk or egg ingredient or that a kitchen counter might not be allergen free. Bringing our own food is less stress for us and the host. I always have icing in the freezer too. I make a large batch and then freeze it in small containers to use for special occasions. I looked into icing just a little while ago and the only one which had safe ingredients for us was No Name vanilla brand. I am not sure if I called about it. I didn't end up using it.Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:20 pm 

I keep pieces of homemade cake with icing in the freezer for my son. He's still young so it hasn't been an issue but at least he can have cake when we're celebrating.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies