You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:22 pm 

OK - so I know I can get kernels from Divvies but they are US and of course there is always the customs issue.
Does anyone know of a popcorn (even the kernels) that is truly safe for dairy allergic? By truly, I mean that despite GMP, no dairy is processed on the same line (preferably not in the facility). Same for chips...
Is it a pipedream?[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I buy No Name kernels and use a microwave popcorn popper (old Regal purchase).
I melt soy margarine and add salt. Our daughter likes to add ood colouring to it. For some ids, they don't want to be different, for our daughter having her food look different is a comfort so she really likes to play with colour.
I don't worry about the popcorn kernels having milk on them as they are plain. I have looked at those microwave popcorn bags which seem to be OK but have been manufactured on a production line that also makes products using dairy and I don't feel comfortable with them.
I try to make it a simple as possible to avoid contamination.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:20 pm 

I use PC Reduced Fat Natural Flavour Microwave Popping Corn. Ingredients are: Popping corn; hydrogenated soybean oil, salt. Daughter has had no problems with it.

Post subject: chips and popcorn
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:51 pm 

My son is ana to milk proteins and beef. The milk protein is from 5 months old, gave him pablum the first time, it had dried milk in it. He is turning 3 next month and loves chips and popcorn! Not sure where you're living but in Canada we can get Humpty Dumpty chips, he can have bbq, salt & vinegar and dill pickle. He is also allergic to lactic acid, and these chips don't have it. I literally buy 4 bags a week, for here there and everywhere. He also now likes tortilla chips, I buy tostitos plain, not lime flavoured as it lah lastiv acid.He also eats the Pc natural popcorn. We have also taken him to the movies and if they don't put any extras on it, at a Galaxy cinema he can have the popcorn. We were terrified to feed him the first time and I went back to read ingredients after my husband already did and the girl serving me was allergic!. What a treat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:28 pm 

I'm in the same camp as Susan - we pop our own and add canola oil and sea salt. It tastes fantastic. I have been on the lookout for popcorn in bags that can be put in the m-wave but haven't found one yet - but will check out the PC one mentioned by Amy's Mom.

For chips, another friend of mine who is hyper-vigilant (child is ana to D/E/P/N) has checked out Humpty Dumpty and trusts their labelling and quality assurance completely. They have just bought Old Dutch, apparently, so that is another brand that she is happy with.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

We add food colouring to her melted margarine. This way if we're somewhere that has popcorn she wants and can identify her own. She picks the colour and it makes it seem even more special.
Yeah, I only have one child so I indulge her a lot. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:00 pm 

Thanks for the tips!

I know she can't do the PC organic m-wave one, they process dairy on the same line and she's too sensitive but I'll have to look for kernels.
So, silly question, but I have been to the grocery store a few times and have not managed to find kernels - only the m-wave boxed bags. I'm not a big junk foodie and never have been - where oh where are the kernels to be found?

I really like the food colouring idea too :) We'll be trying that out for sure.
Going to check out Humpty Dumpty now :) and tostitos (that will make DH so happy as he's an addict!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

I find the kernels on the shelf with the microwave popcorn but it's up higher, not so obvious. Ask the staor staff for help.
Some stores keep items in the strangest places!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:47 am 

Usually they are found in the chip aisle, further down, with the packaged nuts (yes, nuts) and marshmallows and candies. Small plastic bags filled with popcorn kernels, or I supposed the fancy bottles of Orville Redenbacher, assuming they are plain kernels - we buy the cheap stuff!

But it's true - grocery stores sometimes seems to have very arcane rules for where they put food...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:27 pm 

Karenrecter,
I just assumed that theatre popcorn was not safe. When you order it are there any toppings on it? What gives it that yellow colour? Do you know if all Galaxy theatres have the same popcorn?
Thank you
Stephanie

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:07 pm 

WooHoo - found the plain kernels today. Can't wait to call Monday (just to be SURE) and then figure out how to cope. I really don't want to bring in another kitchen gadget - anyone else have a crowded kitchen? Juicer, Processor, Bread Maker, Blender...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Back in the olden days, we would put some oil and popcorn (2 tbsp : 1/3 cup)in a large heavy pot and heat over high heat with the lid held on firmly. We would shake the pot (back and forth) from time to time until the kernels began to pop. Then we would continue to shake the pot until we didn't hear any more kernels pop.
God, I feel so old!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:26 pm 

Thanks for the ratio! It will remind me of jiffy-pop - an added bonus (although I don't remember that tasting very good).
I really don't need another gadget. I'm so excited to try now :)

Don't feel so old - just think of Raffi's popcorn song (you put the oil in the pot and you let it get hot you put the popcorn in and start to grin - sizzle, sizzle, sizzle, sizzle POP! It's sure to be DD's new fav snack)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:47 am 

I have also heard of using a plain paper bag (like a lunchbag) to pop popcorn in the microwave.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:37 pm 

Two more "how to make popcorn" questions

Stove top - do you need an oil that is for high temp? My DH seemed to think Olive Oil has too low a smoking point?...

On the m-wave and paperbag, how do you keep the bag from opening?