You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:30 pm 

The type of margarine I was using seems to be discontinued, or at least DH hasn't been able to find it at the store in over a month. He brought another type made by the same manufacturer home but I'm afraid to try it out on my little one yet.

My son is allergic to eggs and milk. What do you think?

Ingredients: water, canola oil, modified palm and palm kernel oils, salt, natural flavour, vegetable monoglycerides, potassium sorbate, soy lecithin, alpha tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), citric acid, polyglycerol esthers of fatty acids, viatmin A palmitate, beta carotene, vitamin D3.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Is there a telephone number that you can call? I always check the natural ingredients and inquire if it is made on production lines that manufacter products which contain our allergens.
Then, if it is a company that you trust, it should be OK.
Ultimately, all that we can do is the very best we can to chack that it is safe. There is always a slim chance that it isn't safe and then you have your Epi-Pen/Twinject.
Can you try the food in the morning so that you can keep an eye out for reactions?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:12 am 
I use Earth Balance, which is egg and dairy free (it's vegan), if you need another idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:22 am 

We use Smart balance no dairy
its a bit cheaper then Earth balance both are made by the same company

http://www.earthbalance.net/
http://www.smartbalance.com/

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:25 pm 

My3boys, what brand is it? We use earth balance as well...there are very few safe ones. The trouble with margarines is even if it has no milk in it...it is more than likely made on the same equipment as the milky ones, and cross contamination is very likely.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:30 pm 

Where do you find EarthBalance. The margarine I was using, PC brand, is off the shelves right now so I've been buying Fleishman's. I find it a little expensive so would like to look at another option. I'm in Ottawa and generally shop at Loblaws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:58 pm 
They don't sell Earth Balance at my Superstore or Zehr's (same company as Loblaw's). I buy it at the health food store, but I live 5 minutes from the border, and I tend to stock up when I'm there because it's 3$ cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:33 pm 

It's a PC brand (Loblaws) so was the one I was using. I've used Fleischmans in the past too but also found it a bit expensive when baking, etc.

I couldn't find any Canadian locations to buy Earth Balance or Smart Balance.

Everything I've read says the Fleischmans' unsalted is milk free and my son had no reaction to it so I think I'll go back to it. At least it's easy to find in the stores.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

DS#1 - no allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:30 pm 

I think I'm familiar with the PC one you're talking about. We had used that one...until my daughter got all red around her mouth one day and I noticed a "DE" symbol on the front of it. "DE" means shares equipment with dairy...and I wasn't real happy with the response of customer service...since its their product and they hire another supplier to make it...and there wasn't clear communication between the manufacturer and the customer service rep in regards to allergy management on the production lines. I do use some products with that "DE" symbol, but only if I'm really comfortable with the companies commitment to a totally dairy free product.

Earth balance is pretty much a health food store find...I would sugest contacting the company to find a retailer near you
http://earthbalance.net/

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:44 pm 

What is up with PC? We use that brand too. I haven't been able to find it. We have used it now for several years with no problem. I received a clear response from the company rep when I called about the shared dairy equipment issue. Is it being discontinued?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:43 am 
Site Admin

We use Fleischmann's Lactose-free. Both the salted and un-salted versions are dairy free. I can't say the same for the regular Fleischmann's.
My3boys-have you considered using oil of shortening for baking?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:20 am 

Katec - I wish I knew if it was discontinued. We had no trouble with it so I'm a bit disappointed.

Susan - I have been thinking maybe I should just use oil in my baking. I guess margarine was a habit.

I really appreciate everyones help.

DS#1 - no allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 pm 

I got a response from PC. The margarine is going through a reformulation to allow it a longer shelf life. According to the woman I spoke to on the information line from PC, there are no new ingredients and it is still processed in the same facility as before. There was a problem in availability while this change was being made but apparently we should find new stock in the store shortly. I was quite relieved to find this out. I can't find a local supplier of Earth Balance and we haven't had any problem with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:39 pm 

I notice PC brand back on selves ... a bit more expensive too!