You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pasta
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:35 pm 

I was wondering about pasta for my son. When I look at the lables some indicate egg are in them and other just say Duram Wheat Semolina. Does this mean some pastas are made without egg and it is just flour? Seems funny to me but I thought I better double check. I know homemade pasta recipes always have egg.

I do use the rice pasta but wondered if i could branch out more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:45 pm 

Hi,

I found that most dry "regular" pasta are made with only some kind of wheat flour and water because they have a longer shelf-life without the eggs, plus some companies (like catelli) add vitamins and minerals. (I'm not including the whole grain, or flavored kinds). Most fresh pasta (in the refrigerated counters) contain eggs.

You have to read labels (but you probably know this by now) everytime you buy a product, and you can even call or e-mail companies before feeding new pasta to your son to ensure they don't "may contain" any allergen.

Enjoy!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:30 pm 

I use "Unico" brand as I've found several of the dry pastas to indicate "may contain". There are others that are okay as well, but once I found Unico, I've pretty much stuck with it. Our son is highly allergic to egg, so we are very careful to avoid it.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:02 pm 

I guess it all depends on your son's sensitivity and your risk tolerance. One of our dd's ana reactions was to trace egg. Although the company followed "GMP", was reputable etc, we still wound up with a 911 incident.
In our case, we are not comfortable having pasta that manufactures egg pastas on the same line even with "cleansing" practices. The other thing we have had to enquire about is the flour used and whether they have an allergen statement from the supplier of the flour. Believe it or not, many places that make flour seem to also make egg products (tempura) so cross contam risks can be quite high, in particular if you are very sensitive. We use Tinkyada a lot as it is only rice and water and holds it's shape. We have also bee fortunate with a few Eden pastas and a few made by PC - but not all by any means.

Good luck for finding something that works well for your little guy.
As a last aside, Catelli had practically made me swear not to buy their products. When I spoke with them, they were very forthcoming that the risk for egg contamination was very high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

We use Y & Y egg free chow mein noodles (they are made with wheat and look like ramen noodles).
We also use Rizopia noodles (rice noodles egg free plant) which are expensive but they tend to go on sale in September and I buy a years worth. I love them for shaped noodles.
Dd's all time favourite are the rice stick noodles which come in various thicknesses. Personally, I can't stand them (too mucilaginous for me)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: pasta
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:29 am 

Thanks very much for all the product recommendations. I feel so slow these days in the grocery store. This gives me some new ideas to look for and some to avoid!