You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:51 am 

I don't know how long they've existed, but I found Rice based non-dairy cheese slices at the Loblaws in Gatineau! (They haven't made it to my local store yet...) Previously, the Rice Cheese had casein in it, but now they came out with a Vegan dairy-free line! :) It's from Galaxy foods, which also makes the 'Vegan' brand soy "cheese" blocks, which my daughter loves! These new slices are rice flour based,and melt better...

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/canada.asp#

FYI!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:29 pm 

I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I was always disappointed that the rice cheese contained casein.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:26 pm 

SIGH! This was our "cheese" (available at health food stores and also Loblaws/Superstore) until dd reacted to their soy protein isolate.
An extra vote of confidence for the dairy allergic - an independent lab in the US as well as CFIA tested multiple batches of product given dd's reaction and in those instances there was absolutely no lab detection of any dairy (or egg) protein.

DD also loved the taste of it...
Only issue we found was having to be careful of expiration dates - I suspect it is not a high demand product :) Also, we never found it with the 'regular' cheese slices but always somewhere alternate (like with the soy yoguart) Odd product placement and one you might want to keep in mind if you look for it but it had made us happy given dd's sensitivity level

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:52 pm 

I couldn't find the ingredient list on the website, but I believe one of those product contains pea protein, just a heads up to those dealing with pea allergies as well as dairy!