You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:44 pm 

My 1 year-old-son recently had an allergic reaction to eggs. He kept smelling the eggs as if he knew it was something he shouldn't eat. He mostly played with it. I"m not even sure he got any in his mouth. I noticed that he had red spots where the egg was touching his skin. I pulled him out of his chair and started cleaning him up but not before he took his egg covered hands and wiped them all over his face and eyes. He quickly had red splotches and hives all over his face but no where else. I took him to the ER and they checked him out and told us to give him Benadrly if any more hives appeared.

We are going to see his doctor on Friday. I have a few questions before we see the doctor.

Should I ask for an epi-pen?
Personally, I would feel better having an epi-pen especially because (I think) EMT's are not allowed to administer any medicine and we live in a rural area. If a serious reaction occurred I think it would take too long to get to the hospitsl. My husband does not think his allergy is serious and does not warrant an epi-pen. He thinks our son will outgrow it.

Should we see an allergist?
Again my husband and I disagree on this. Husband thinks allergist will just confirm it's an egg allergy. Would an allergist provide more information besides that?

Because it seemed his reaction was from skin contact, does this mean he has a more serious allergy?

Should I ban eggs in my home?

Should we avoid foods that have been manufactured in a place that also uses eggs?

Thanks for your help.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:01 pm 

Hi Amy,

I definitely think the place to start is with an allergist so that your son can be properly assessed. He is still very young so allergies can be outgrown but you cannot assume that it is not serious at this point. You should try to get an appointment soon and then tell them what happened and ask lots of questions and address the medication thing. I'm not sure what they would give him but it is always good to be prepared.
Just be proactive about it and in the meantime make sure he doesn't eat or touch any more eggs or things with eggs in them, just in case. At least, that would be my opinion. But the allergist will know best.
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:24 pm 

You should get him to see an allergist as soon as possible. Your son should avoid all foods that contain or may contain eggs until you have a a diagnosis.

My husband is of the same mindset that our son's allergies are not that bad and we don't need an epi pen, he'll outgorw them... and now that my son is almost 3 I wish we had an epi pen just in case. I will certainly be asking for a prescription the next time we see an allergist.

Good luck!

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

There are many factors that help the allergist to determine the risk of anaphylaxis froma given allergen.

Talk to the allergist he/she will take a detailed history and make a decision. Be sure that you understand what the risk is and how to procede if a reaction should occur.

Until your child has been assessed, avoid all products containing egg.

When baking you can substitute the following mixture for each egg required (up to 3 eggs)

1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tbsp water

Mix together is the equivalent of 1 large egg.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:05 am 

Thank you for your responses and the egg substitute. Looks like I'm going to have to do more cooking to avoid eggs.

I did some research and found an allergist in my area. He sounds great. He really seems to understand the serioiusness of food allergies in children. He also founded a local support group for parents of children with allergies that meet at his office.

I made an appointment, but it's not until July 17th. Should he be seen sooner?

Also, I am still breastfeeding my son. I have been trying to avoid eggs as well. If I eat something with eggs could that cause him to have a reaction? He had some eczema as a baby and now I wonder if it was from the eggs in my diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter had eczema...until I stopped breastfeeding.

So, I would avoid eating her allergens if I could get good nutrition another way. (JMHO)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:10 pm 

Your sons eczema could very well be caused by foods in your diet. DS had severe eczema starting at about one month old. It wasn't until I cut his allergens from my diet that the eczema cleared up. I just weaned DS last week, so it's been about 16 months since I've had a glass of milk or an egg.