You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:51 pm 

History: DS reacted (localized hives - around the mouth) to cooked egg @ 11 months and subsequently tested +ve (SPT) to both yolk and white at 15 months. Fast forward a year, he tested -ve (SPT again) to egg yolk and white. On the advice of our allergist we started offering cooked egg at home, which he consumed with no problem. He got his hands on uncooked meringue one day when I was baking a lemon pie, however, and developed a few hives around his mouth and a couple on his trunk (from consumption, not contact). I had the allergist re-test him (SPT) and again, negative.

So he continues to eat cooked egg... hard boiled, well cooked scrambled, and as an ingredient in baked goods. But I'm puzzled about the raw egg rxn. I can't seem to find anything online about people who are allergic to only raw egg... everything I've found says if you react to raw egg you're probably allergic to cooked egg.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did you or your child every outgrown the raw egg allergy? How did you safely determine?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:02 pm 

From what I know, some egg allergic people are able to consume it if cooked or in baked goods but not raw. My brother is extremely allergic and cannot consume eggs whatsoever. On the other hand, my cousin can eat them only if in baked goods.
I have no idea why and I suppose monitoring things appropriately is in order, especially regular check-ups at the allergist. I do not know what the chances are of outgrowing the allergy though. Maybe someone else has a better idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:05 pm 

Yeah, I guess the problem is the SPT is negative, so it's not at all indicative of the raw egg allergy. DS can and will consume an entire hardboiled egg at breakfast though and no sign of an allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Sadly, we are still avoiding all eggs.

Your allergist recommended that you conduct an oral challenge at home?
that is highly unusual.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Your allergist recommended that you conduct an oral challenge at home?
that is highly unusual.

Based on DS's history of rxn he didn't feel a controlled oral challenge was necessary. Debatable, perhaps. Peanuts/nuts he definitely wouldn't have suggested we trial at home. In fact, with peanuts/nuts he wouldn't even attempt an oral challenge until a child was 8 y/o (to be certain the child could accurately and reliably articulate an subtle symptoms the might be experiencing), which I think is much older than the age deemed acceptable to challenge by other allergists (at least based on what I've read on a few forums).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:51 pm 

My older son is fine with cooked and not with raw. It's not that unusual, from what I understand.

I read in a FAAN newsletter awhile ago that it is something to do with how the proteins change when the egg is cooked so that the cooked egg protein does not resemble the raw egg protein... (in very basic terms - it was actually a bit more complicated). Some people react to both cooked and raw, and some react only to only to the raw protein.

From Anaphylactic reactions to raw eggs after negative challenges with cooked eggs:

Quote:
Although it is commonly believed that major food allergens are stable after heat treatment or proteolysis, Cooke and Sampson(6) recently showed reduced IgE binding to denatured ovomucoid. Thus patients progressively losing their sensitivity might tolerate boiled or cooked eggs.

As for outgrowing... that I don't know. Sorry.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:13 pm 

KarenOASG wrote:
My older son is fine with cooked and not with raw. It's not that unusual, from what I understand.

I read in a FAAN newsletter awhile ago that it is something to do with how the proteins change when the egg is cooked so that the cooked egg protein does not resemble the raw egg protein... (in very basic terms - it was actually a bit more complicated). Some people react to both cooked and raw, and some react only to only to the raw protein.

From Anaphylactic reactions to raw eggs after negative challenges with cooked eggs:

Quote:
Although it is commonly believed that major food allergens are stable after heat treatment or proteolysis, Cooke and Sampson(6) recently showed reduced IgE binding to denatured ovomucoid. Thus patients progressively losing their sensitivity might tolerate boiled or cooked eggs.

As for outgrowing... that I don't know. Sorry.

K.

Yeah, that was my understanding too, so I don't know why I can't find anything specific about raw egg allergies.

Someone on another forum suggested I request a RAST, so I'll probably do that. I find it a bit baffling that the SPT is negative... presumably they test with intact proteins, not those denatured by heat. ??!