You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:10 am 

I am lactose intolerant and my symptoms are not that severe. It just makes life unpleasant for me but nothing too earth shattering. I can definitely eat bread and other foods with dairy in it. I don't worry about reading labels.

If you can't even tolerate trace amounts, it really sounds like you have an allergy and I would push with the allergist to get it diagnosed. Change doctors if you need to. And like Susan advises, do get an Epi-pen just in case. You don't need a prescription. When in doubt, don't hesitate to use it and call 9-1-1.The Epi-Pen won't hurt you but not using it could. It's better to err on the side of caution.

You can go to www.epipen.com to view a video on how to use it.

Self - Allergic to housework only

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:11 am 

kcopson wrote:
Well, I saw the allergist...allergy test was negative for milk allergy. Doctor says milk allergy only shows up in infants/children, does not suddenly show up in adults.

So according to doctors, it's not lactose intolerance...and it's not a milk allergy.

So I still don't know the answer....but I'm continuing to avoid dairy/milk ingredients because my system is still rejecting foods that contain milk ingredients.

OMG, OMG! Are you my twin?

I went for allergy testing on June 1 and the allergist tested me EXACTLY as before. He declared that I was NOT allergic to milk in any way, shape, or form. Then, how do you explain my severe analyphalactic (sp?) reaction when I ate cheese? Or other time recently when I passed out (twice) and had to be hospitalized from having medication with lactose in it?

Needless to say, I'm not impressed with my allergist either. He is under the impression that he is right, and that I am merely a very misinformed patient...!!!!! (I kept a food journal when my allergies started, and milk was the common denominator of my problems. I ruled out everything else.)

Val (avoiding ALL products that contain any form of milk product - and there are a LOT!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:34 pm 

Wow, My oldest daughter suddenly had a reaction to milk. She will even stop breathing with cooking exposer. The allergist informed us it wasn't an allergy as well. Because her tests came back negitative. Yet to keep avoiding it. :shock: I am sort of miffed by the medical feild atm.

Karen in ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:15 pm 

The gold standard test for a food allergy is to eat it (or I guess also to consume it in some other way, such as inhaling the vapour, if that is how you react). I hadn't been aware that people could react to dairy vapour, but a local allergist told our support group that this is possible at a recent meeting (e.g. if you were to put your face near steaming milk).

If you react, you are allergic. This is according to my allergist, and this is why they have oral food challenges. The skin test and blood test may be negative, but until you eat it and don't react, you cannot definitively say that you are not allergic.

I would get a new allergist as soon as possible, if possible. It is RIDICULOUS to say that an adult (or teen or older child) cannot develop a dairy allergy.

K.

Post subject: Update - conclusion
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:21 pm 

Well, regardless of what the allergy test showed back in 2005, I know I have a milk protein allergy.

In addition to being allergic to whey protein and therefore anything that says 'may contain traces of milk ingredients', I'm also allergic to casein (the other protein in milk). So no more soy cheese (it contains casein), or even some vegan products (some contain casein). Cross contamination at buffets can also be a problem if someone drops shredded cheese for instance or 'contaminates' a serving utensil.

Allergic reactions include severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, itchy skin, and sneezing. :(

Another discovery - I've been reading that I should avoid soy products as they can inhibit the absorption of meds for my Hypothyroidism. I've never had an allergic reaction to soy, but I have been experiencing a change in my thyroid function, so rather then cause more problems, I've switched to Rice milk instead of Soy milk.

I read the ingredients on everything in the grocery store. I still eat out occasionally, but I'm really careful about what I order, make sure the server is aware that I have an allergy, and ask questions about ingredients. One restaurant I went to took such good care to make sure my food was dairy free, they made me feel like a queen instead of a nuisance. (They got a good tip $).

So at age 40+, it IS possible to develop a milk allergy after years of consuming milk, cheese (I was a cheeseoholic), yogurt, ice cream, etc - the same foods that now cause me grief.

Thanks to everyone for such an awesome forum and all your feedback. Thanks to Susan for this link http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/misc/m ... utout.html
It was very helpful when learning to read labels.

Hopefully my update can help someone else.

Last edited by kcopson on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was a cheeseoholic

You may want to check out this thread about a casein free soy based cheese type product (OK, it's better than that sounds).

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1195

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb