You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:55 pm 

Hello!
I've posted here on occasion but after reading all the helpful info on these forums, will definately be here more often!
I have an 8 year old son with a severe egg allergy, a 13 month old who does not tolerate diary products (his RAST was negative to both milk and egg and we are awaiting a food challenge to both, but have to remain dairy free for now), and I myself, have anaphylactic OAS and am allergic to penicillan and cepholosporins. I also have a 15 year old and a 3 year old with no allergies!

Right now, my baby is drinking SILK vanilla, it's the one he seems to like the best. I also like the fact that it's organic, and of all the ones I've seen, has a relatively high fat content. I picked up some Earth's Island dairy free cheddar Soy cheese, and he seems to like it.
We generally buy SO NICE soy yogurt and again, no complaints from him!

As there are many allergies in our home to accomodate, I make a ton of things from scratch, but would like some new ideas..........

Is there such thing as dairy/egg free pudding? We've used Chapmans Sorbet but for some reason, it really aggrivates my 13 month old's reflux (which he has been on meds for since 6ish weeks of age)...........

I look forward to getting to know you all!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:17 pm 

You can make pudding using the dry pudding mixes (at last check NoName and Dr.Oetker -spelling? was okay for us) and soy milk. We haven't had any luck with instant mixes but soy works well with cooked pudding mixes. My kids don't like pudding so I haven't made it in a while. I have seen 2 different brands of soy pudding but I haven't checked them out to confirm that they are safe for us. Belsoy is one brand I have seen in many places and there is another -I forget the name - but it has a panda on it and Metro carries it.
Good luck,
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:02 am 

Hi there,

The previous poster is probably talking about Zen Soy pudding http://www.zensoy.com/health.html In the FAQs, they say there are dairy products used on their equipment but they clean and sterilize before manufacturing their soy products. I tried it a few months ago and thought it chocolate was pretty good. For some reason, my kids weren't that fond of it. I might try it again.

Also, have you tried Nutri Soy Glace ice cream? http://www.nutrisoya.com/index_.php?lan ... ction=2_17 It's good, and organic / all natural, and my family loves it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:58 am 
Site Admin

I just buy Bird's Custard powder and make it at home with soy milk.
Quote:
invented by Alfred Bird in 1837 because his wife was allergic to eggs, the traditional thickening agent for custard. Bird’s uses cornflour mixed with milk to form its thick custardy sauce.

Who knew?

http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/our-brands/grocery/birds/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb