You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:49 am 

My 20 month old son was retested for his allergies and is now down to three: Milk, Egg and Peanuts. The allergist said to start desensitizing him at home but with very little direction, other then to have the epi-pen on hand. It seemed as though he was pushing us out of the door as we tried to ask him questions about it. Has anyone done this at home with a young child? His allergies were not anaphylactic but still quite bad. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:28 pm 

:frightened I'm shocked that an allergist would advise home desensitization, first off, and then on top of that, not give you clear direction.

From what I've read, any peanut or nut allergies should be considered at risk for anaphylaxis even if blood test numbers 'aren't that high' or the patient has only had mild/moderate reactions in the past.

Everything that I've read about the clinical desensitization studies have said 'do not try this at home'.

I would get referred to another allergist and hold off on any desensitization until then. I would not return to an allergist that pushes you out the door while you are trying to ask questions. If you mention what city you are in, perhaps members can provide referrals to a good allergist?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Run don't walk! :frightened

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:44 am 

That is interesting that you have read to not desensitize at home...what a nice Dr. to recommend it to first time parents dealing with allergies. We are in the Ottawa area and just got in with a pediatrician at the Children's Hospital, so hopefully she will also be able to refer us to someone new. But if anyone can recommend a good allergist at least I can go in to my appointment with some names. Thank you for your response it makes my husband and I feel better about not trying to feed our child small amounts of peanut butter, egg and milk every day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

I really like our allergist Dr. Peter Lee in Kanata. He's very serious and focused. You really need to be able to speak up if you have questions.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:49 pm 

There's an article here that talks about desensitization and why it would be dangerous to try at home http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=284 Good luck finding an allergist you like!