You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:27 pm 

I am looking for a birth control pill in Canads that doesn't contain lactose as an inactive ingredient in it. I've done the Depo shot, and had bad side effects from it, and the patch or nuvaring aren't covered by insurance, so barring an IUD, I need something!

I am anaphylactic to dairy products, and react to very small amounts.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:03 pm 

Have you checked with your allergist? I don't seem to react to lactose, just casein. But I'm not anaphylactic so don't take my word for it. I do put a warning as I have reacted to one kind of medication last year with eczema from head to toe... only thing I found may have been reactive was lactose but all my other medication contains it and I do fine... so I can't really help you.

oral allergy syndrom to most fruits
(partial list only... and does not include food intolerances)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm 

I am going back for a complete allergy test soon, but as far as I know, it's all derivatives of milk that I'm anaphylactic to. I don't understand why they use lactose in the ingredients. :( Are pharmacies able to compound the pills without putting lactose in?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:58 pm 

I don't have a dairy allergy, so I can't help here, but I'll be watching this topic because I know someone who has issues with this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:26 pm 

Allergies are to the protein in the food, so in the case of milk, casein or whey. Lactose is a sugar - people who are intolerant to it lack the enzyme needed to process lactose properly. So people with allergies to milk protein are usually OK with lactose AS LONG AS it's medical-grade lactose. I am a pharmacist, and we cannot compound hormone tablets - safety issue. But even our lactose-intolerant patients can tolerate the miniscule amount in the birth control pills just fine. No issues for our milk-allergy patients either.

The exception to the above regarding medical-grade lactose is with the diskus inhalers - the company (GSK) will not guarantee the lactose used in these to be milk protein-free, and our best guess as for why this is is because it is inhaled directly into the lungs .... not something you want to be doing if you're possibly allergic to something! So if you've not tried any yet, I would recommend that you get your doctor to give you a sample of the one that she / he thinks is most appropriate for you, then take the first dose in his / her office.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:14 pm 

What is the difference between medical-grade and normal lactose? Just curious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:52 am 
Site Admin

I think this is a good question for Ask the Allergists!
http://allergicliving.com/columns.asp?copy_id=73

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:55 am 

In pharmaceuticals, the lactose is purified - quality tests are run to ensure it's purity. So medications should be protein-free. IThat being said, there's a big difference between pharmaceuticals and what I'll call "wannabes". It needs to be from a reliable manufacturer that is subjected to quality controls. Funny, one of my friends who is a doctor from China says never to trust anything that comes from China! If he wants to source natural pharmaceuticals, he sticks to European or North American. But I digress .... it would be interesting to see what the "Ask the Experts" might say, because this info is strictly from my own research and questioning of the pharmaceutical suppliers, and I make recommendations to my patients based on this info.

It's FOOD I'm not sure about. When it says lactose in a food, I don't know what their source for the lactose is - it could very well be the same lactose that is used in pharamaceuticals, but I don't work in the food industry so I have no idea ... but in a past life I worked in a lab that tested for purity of medication powders (with HPLC machines) and they were pretty pure!