You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:01 pm 

People with egg allergies may want to know that Catelli Pasta is no longer safe for those with a severe egg allergy. On Friday, right after lunch, my daughter developed hives all over her cheeks and neck. The only different thing she ate was Catelli Spaghetti. I had been told previously by Catelli that their pasta is safe. When I called them this past Friday to verify, I was told that they now manufacture pasta with eggs in the same facility and in fact suggested that anyone with a severe egg allergy should avoid consuming all their Catelli and Lancia brands because they are manufactured in facilities that produce other egg products.

Does anyone know of any other pasta that is egg free?

Noha

http://www.allergymom.ca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Aw, I'm sorry she got sick!

We use Y&Y eggless chowmein noodles or Rizopia Brown Rice noodles. I know others use other brands but I want the package to declare egg-free before I trust it. :?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 am 

Ahhhhh this stinks! Have been wondering why my skin has been so itchy.

I know one time I used PC pasta but heaven knows....I haven't eaten it in awhile, because I thought catelli was safe.

Going to have to start using the Rizopia (can find it at loblaws/superstore in the natural food section), which really is great pasta, but you can't eat it plain.

Making pasta is really easy too, albeit a bit time consuming...but you don't even need a pasta maker!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:29 am 
Site Admin

http://www.kasbahouse.com/villawareonli ... index3.asp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:18 pm 

Oh. My.

I want one....I didn't know home extruders even existed. One can't live on tagliatelle forever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:15 am 
Site Admin

With rice pastas at $2.50 per package, I figure it will pay for itself quickly. I can buy Y&Y eggless chowmein noodles for $1.39-sometimes on sale for $0.99, but it's fun for kids to have shaped pasta.

It's too expensive when you add on the duty, so I ordered on line and had it shipped to the hotel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 am 

Our son had an allergic reaction last evening (hives, scratchy throat, nausea - leading to hours spent in the ER). Anyway, I'm fairly certain it was to the Catelli Smart spaghetti. I've been on the phone with a very helpful person from Ronzoni Foods (in the U.S.). Very strict cleaning procedures are in place; however, she confirmed, as others have under this posting, that egg products can be manufactured on the same line. :( Because we'd been eating this pasta for at least the past year, even though I was aware of the concerns, we had not yet experienced a problem with our son eating the Catelli Smart pasta. After last evening, we won't be eating it anymore.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:01 pm 

Please note that although the manufacturing company that produces Catelli Pasta may be in the US, their cleaning procedures and policies are different from those in Canada. In addition, products are often produced and distributed by licensed bodies here in Canada. In Catelli's case, their products are produced in a facility in Ontario according to CFIA's investigation. They have confirmed that egg is produced in the facility and on the same lines. I called Catelli again last week to confirm that indeed they have warnings on some of their packages right now that warns against consumption for those allergic to eggs. They believe there is a high risk of cross contamination. They stated: That goes for ALL Catelli Pastas, whether it's smart harvest or otherwise.

Despite a number of children getting sick, Catelli is not interested in displaying warnings on all their packages. Some of their packages have warnings, and some don't. Regardless, I've been told by the Catelli representative that all their pastas are unsafe. If you suspect that your child has gotten sick after eating Catelli, please advise CFIA. They take the necessary precautions and test the packaging. If enough people get sick, they can make Catelli comply to put a warning.

I hope everyone stays safe.

Noha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:18 pm 

Noha,

Thanks for this further information. It's frustrating when large companies do not place "may contain" warnings on the label when there is a much higher likelihood of a "may contain". I realise the "may contain" statement is not mandatory, but I find most of the large companies do include this information.

Which egg-free pasta are you now using? I was going to go out today to search, but I'm sick with the flu.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:15 am 

Julie..

I know that it is hard sometimes to find products that are allergen free. It took me a while to find those but here is what we use at home:

Compliments Sensations Pasta http://www.compliments.ca/en/Products/product.aspx?b=1&s=9&c=23&t=2&u=152&sku=62368210188
This is a Sobey's brand so you will only find it in Sobey's stores. I called to confirm with the production company 2 days ago. I was told by the rep that the product is dairy, egg and nut free. She stated that the entire facility has no eggs, dairy, or nuts in it. The Compliments line always declares allergy warnings on their packages for all their products. This line of pasta has a wheat warning on it. I find that Compliments brand has never dissappointed me. Their allergy labeling is always clear and accurate.

Colavita
They are distributed by I-D Foods in Canada http://www.idfoods.com/en/index.php/brands/cat/pasta/
I called them 2 days ago to confirm, and was told by the rep that there are no eggs, dairy or nuts in the facility. My daughter loves this pasta as well. She is severely allergic to dairy, eggs and peanuts, and she was fine after she ate it.

PC Blue Menu http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOnline/products.jsp?catIds=cat40002&catIds=118&type=details&productId=19867
This is a Loblaws brand, but it is whole wheat. I also called them to confirm. The rep said that there is no dairy, egg or nuts in the product and no risk of cross contamination because they have a "kosherization" process in place.

My little girl has not had any reactions after consuming those three brands. Six months ago my only option was PC Menu Whole Wheat Pasta. I am not sure if the other two are new or just were not distributed in the stores here in Nova Scotia. In any case, between those three and depending on which one is on sale at the time, those are the only types we could safely consume. They are all costly in my opinion, at almost $4 for 500 grams. But I take comfort in the fact that there are options now as opposed to a year ago, I had no options at all. I also stock up when they are on sale for $1.97 :D

I hope this was helpful, and of course, read every and all labels. Stay safe, and I hope you feel better. Flu is no fun.

Noha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:10 pm 

Noha, THANK YOU!!!!! I REALLY appreciate the information. Prior to reading your post, I went out grocery shopping this afternoon and bought 2 pastas: I bought the Y & Y Chow mein noddles recommended by Susan, and the second I will be calling to confirm EVERYTHING about the manufacturing process (I will no longer be satisfied with "stringent cleaning" if I know our son's allergen is present on the line.) Anyway, the second pasta I bought is: PC Organics Spaghetti. The ingredients are 100% organic durum semolina, and that's it! I will call Monday to discuss the ingredients, and if I'm not satisfied, we won't use it. I will post with whatever information I hear.

P.S. I'm feeling better with my flu, but I sound worse. I've pretty much lost my voice (which made for a very quiet dinner this evening... lol. Our daughter is at a sleepover this evening, so this just left the 2 males in the family to do all the talking... thus the quiet dinner!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:57 pm 

Oh wow! With that info my daughter can finally have her first taste of pasta! Before this, I was looking into making my own pastas, which would have been quite time consuming. Last time I went on a spaghetti hunt for safe brands, I bought like 3-4 different brands, but wasn't satisfied with any of their answers to my questions or I was told it could contain egg, so I had to skip it.. Finally i'll be able to get the classic shot of spaghetti and sauce all over her face! *pathetic mommy tears* and of course, another option for a quick dinner at times, which will be amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:34 am 

I found out something promising while grocery shopping last night. The Compliments (Sobey's brand) lasagne noodles http://www.compliments.ca/en/Products/product.aspx?b=1&s=1,8,10&c=23&t=2&u=152&sku=5574235794 are egg free apparently. Compliments brand typically has allergy warnings on all their products if the allergen is processed on the same line. Most of their other dry pasta (except for Sensations line) has egg warning on it. I just confirmed with their representative 5 minutes ago. The Compliments lasagne is made on an EGG FREE line. She also said that it is a different supplier than their other dry pastas, which perhaps explains why this one is an egg free line.

Now, I've bought a package, but have not tried it yet. I plan to try it sometime in the next few days. I hope things don't go sideways. I am so excited that my little girl can experience lasagne for the first time!!

Will post our experience here.

Noha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Admin

That's great! I can't imagine how they'd ever get the egg out of a pasta machine!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:48 am 

Susan, yes I often wonder the same thing. That's why I tend to prefer the ones made on an egg free line or facility. It just gives me peace of mind. I am hoping this one works out. I plan on trying some for lunch today.

Wish me luck!

Noha