You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 am 

I went to Silani (the plant is literally around the corner from us) to pick up some parmesan cheese. I noticed on the package of Grana Padano parmesan it says "contains lysozyme from egg white". I asked the lady working there, and she says that yes, all parmesan contains lysozyme. So... has anyone else heard this? Has anyone had an issue with Parmesan? I'm at a loss here. We have been using it at least once a week, and DD has never had an issue. If parmesan is out.. that's going to be a whole new set of issues. ugh! Inlaws are Italian.. and I've already had to ditch their usual pasta when we are there, we've had to not use rosemary because DD has a sensitivity.. and now possibly parmesan?!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:56 pm 

We had a similar experience a couple of years ago (Tre Stelle). Unfortunately my husband missed it on the ingredients; thankfully my son only had a mild reaction because he sampled the cheese, it could have been alot worse if we'd actually put it in the meal we were making.

The parmesan you grate yourself seems to be the problem. I have never had a problem with the dry ones or Kraft's pre-shredded (not as flavourful but at least we can make lasagne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply! I was actually in the store today searching the parmesans and found that it was the Grana Padano that seemed to be the culprit. The reggiano was ok.. at least in the brand I got (Emma). Just is a reminder to me to read EVERY label! :goodidea