You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:28 pm 

I have a dairy allergy where I get a celiac-like reaction, along with hives and a tight chest. I stay away from it.

I was recently prescribed medication that includes "lactose hydrous". It is an anxiety medication. This is causing me more! Haha :)

I once read that the pharmaceutical grade of lactose is extremely low (I wonder if it was this site? I don't recall). Can anyone weigh in as soon as possible?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 pm 

Hi,

I would contact both the pharmacist and my doctor before taking the medicine. Actually, before my doctor prescribes my kids anything, I have him check it in his "big book" and then I even have the pharmacist check it. It's better to be safe than sorry.

boys' mom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 pm 

In the book, it lists the ingredients and says "lactose". I know it contains it. I am wondering if the pharmaceutical grade is okay to consume.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:08 pm 

Oh, I love that big book-a very nice pharmicist showed it to us when DD was 3 or so. We have always asked to check it and all have let us.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

is there a liquid form? Often times when lactose is involved, it has to do with creating the pill/tablet form. You could look for a compound pharmacy if your pharmacy can't accomodate.
Quote:
Compounding is ordered because of the special needs of the patient. In some cases, the patient might be allergic to some preservatives or dyes used in brand name medications. In other cases, the physician wants the patient to have a different strength than is typically available from the manufacturer. Sometimes, the physician wants the medicine to be in a form or flavour that is easier for the patient to take.

http://www.acpcrx.org/about_us.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:05 am 

Hi Susan,

There isn't (to my knowledge). She said that was the only one.

She sent the prescription to in already to my pharmacist so I am not sure what to do... Darnit!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Contact your Dr and advise that you aren't able to use the meds prescribed due to allergies.
Pharmacuetical grade lactose it supposed to be protein free but, it is still recommended that those with allergies to dairy avoid it.

Who is telling you there is no compound pharmacy? Ask the local hospital if they compound medications or where the nearest compounding pharmacy is. What province do you live in?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:12 am 

For what it's worth, my son is anaphylactic to dairy, and our allergist said the only medication we would for sure have to avoid is the Glaxo diskus inhalers (Advair, Serevent, Ventolin). They actually have warnings for those with milk allergy. He has tolerated many children's medications, as well as adult medications (Reactine tablets) with lactose in them - was even given some after one of his anaphylactic episodes. No reaction to those.

Check with your allergist! You said it was a celiac-like reaction - does that mean you could be lactose intolerant and not protein-allergic? In that case, I would avoid lactose in medicine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:06 pm 

Momtobunches,

I find that the reaction comes from dairy protein. At first we thought it was lactose intolerance, but then realized I felt better only when everything was removed.

I will see what I can do in this case.

Thank you so much for your responses!
Laurie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:10 pm 

hi laurie, Is there a generic form of the drug? or multiple generic forms? Each generic drug has a different ingredients listing, but the ingredients might not be listed in the CPS (the big manual doctors and pharmacists use for medication and ingredient info.)

In that case, you could ask your pharmacist to call around to see if you can get a lactose-free version. But warning: it can take quite some time to get this info. Sometimes drug companies don't ever call the pharmacists back. A pharmacist once suggested to me that it is sometimes more effective for the patient to contact the pharmaceutical companies because for some reason they are more likely to find out the required info.

Another option: is the pill in a capsule form? If so, it might be possible to break open the capsule and take the medicinal powder (depending on how sensitive you are to lactose).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:12 pm 

Thank you for your reply! It has given me a lot to think about.

I have put the prescription on hold. I think the doctor was giving me a drug I don't need (or need yet, at least). So I've saved this thread to visit again when it's time to see if I need it.

But that being said, i'm sure along the way I might be faced with this again, so thank you very much for the information!

Laurie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:57 pm 

I am anaphylactic to dairy and have severe brittle asth,a and as in Momtobunches post, I am fine with the lactose in pills, and can even tolerate some lactose in food products, on good allergy days, but have had severe allergic reactions to the lactose that is in the inhaled form such as the discus inhaler Advair.