You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dairy free pizza
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:49 pm 

Just a little story to pass along. Last night we made pizza for my milk, egg and peanut allergic daughter. She is only 4 but it always amazes me how much she knows or is aware of foods that she cannot eat. Anyway, a month ago, I thought I would make a cheese free Hawaiian pizza for her using the pillsbury pizza dough. Well, she didn't like the pineapple or the crust. So she asked again yesterday about pizza and I made another with ingredients that she likes. So she had a pizza with tomato sauce, ham and corn! She loved it.

It was so funny to watch her eat it. She had a smile on her face the whole time. She asked if she could take some to school. I am sure the kids and teachers will be a little surprised to see her eating a ham and corn pizza but it makes her feel "normal" and she likes it! The crust I used was a plain Master Choice (A&P brand) thin crust. She asked if I could put asparagus on it next time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:39 pm 

Katec, That's a very cute story. Maybe the pizza places will pick up on the ham and corn (and asparagus!) pizza toppings! Your daughter is an original!

I have a cute pizza story too ... my son used to react to tomatoes, so I used to make his pizza with olive oil (instead of tomato sauce), ham, red pepper and mushroom. I felt so bad giving him pizza without the tomato sauce, and then I tried it, and it was SO good! I was so surprised! Nowadays, he can eat tomato (and he LOVES them), but people are still amazed at what he likes on his pizza, because he just loves vegetables! I make our pizza with ham, TONS of green & red pepper, and mushroom. It's not too far off the traditional style pizza except for the TONS of vegetable, but my kids think I make the BEST pizza, and other mothers are AMAZED that my kids will eat all those vegetables.

Isn't it funny how having allergies has created all these families that are eating SO healthy! And our kids are discovering that they enjoy many healthy foods that they might otherwise not be eating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:48 pm 

when I was a kid (and could count myself among the wheat eaters), we'd have pizza once a week---sunday night was dad's night for cooking. my parents had trouble finding milk free dough mixes so my dad ended up learning how to make his own. my one sister with the more serious dairy allergy always had to have her own cheeseless pizza (in the days before there were tofu cheeses). For some reason, she loved zucchini on hers!