You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Advair
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:35 pm 

My daughters do not have asthma, but I heard that advair contains milk protein. I read a story of a girl with a milk allergy who was prescribed advair for her asthma, and that neither her doctor, or pharmacist noticed it contained milk protein and she had a severe reaction.

Does anyone else know about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:03 pm 

Hey, I know this is an old post, but I hope you are still around. I have a milk allergy and hada severe reaction to advair. I did not know it contained milk until after my reaction and I looked up the ingredients in the medicine on their website, and I called their number to be sure. I looked at other medications and sure enough many of them have milk in it too. No wonder my milk allergy has been getting worse and worse. Even zyrtec contains lactose which can contain milk proteins. A lot of drug companies coat the drugs with a milk or egg base in order ot keep it from being water soluable. Make sure you check all ingredients, even in medication. I am thinking of petitioning the FDA to include medications, over the counter and prescription, in the food allergy labeling law.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:45 pm 

Okay, I totally agree with you. Luckily, my youngest daughter (milk/egg/chicken/cats/dogs/playdoh/other yet to be diagnosed environmental/still strictly avoiding all fish and nuts) has not required a lot of meds. She will be 3 on saturday, and she has only once had prescription antibiotics, and went 2 years without requiring fever medication. She is asthma free (luckily, so far) but I definitely have concerns about medications. My oldest is almost 5 (peanuts/nuts strictly avoiding all fish), she has only had antibiotics maybe twice, and also went 2 years without even fever medication. Both girls recently had colds with fevers, that went away without meds. Everyone else we new who had the same thing was vomiting their guts out, and were seriously ill, while my daughters, once given fever meds ( tylenol/advil) were back to normal.

So, they are definitely kids with extremely overactive immune systems. I would definitely be on board with a petition, letters whatever to get medications included in proper labeling laws when the ingredients are "food based".

If you have a web address for who to send letters too, could you post it here?

Also, on my bottle of arius it says "lactose free", which leads me to believe that other antihistamines might contain lactose or other milk derivatives, does anyone else know of any that do contain milk derivatives? Or any cold medications, or fever reducers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:21 am 

You can look up the list of inactive ingredients in all drugs at this website: http://www.rxlist.com/
I haven't started anything yet with a petition. I just thought about doing this today. i will definitly enlist the help of people here,and possibly vegans and celiacs people when I get it up and going. I just enver did anything like this before,and it is kind of scary and over-whelming.
Last week was when I had the reaction to the advair. My allergies/asthma has acted up more than ever lately, and the advair gave me an immediate reaction of hives, asthma, and vomiting. Zyrtec worsened my asthma, and it contains milk. You could get the liquid form of zyrtec which does not contain milk but does contain corn and possibly flavoring.