You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:47 pm 

I used to purchase Co-op regular rice cakes for my daughter, and now they are repackaged and labelled with a milk warning! The Quaker ones also have a peanut warning. Does anyone out there know of ANY that are milk, egg, and nut free??? :scratchy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:51 pm 

I use to eat them all the time but they (Quaker) never use to have a nut warning on them since then I couldn't seem to find any with out a warning so I have given up on rice cakes. I found a new yummy treat. www.popcorners.com If anyone is interested. I buy at Zellers.
It may contain soy. made with corn not rice though. Great for those kids with braces as well. The butter flavor tastes just like regular popcorn. Just with out the grease! Hard to keep a bag in my house they always get eaten. :popcorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:07 am 

Thanks! will have to check those out....
I found an organic brand at Sobey's last night - Lundberg (out of the US). They are a bit pricey per bag (just over $4), but they are just whole grain brown rice and sea salt. Quite good actually!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:40 pm 

With kids in braces we are thrilled to learn of a good, nut-free snack! Thanks :happydance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:27 pm 

I hear you walooet my second child will finally get his off in two weeks. :banana
No more monthly visits to the orthodontist. I may not know what to do my children had them back to back so I have been "dating" this orthodontist for about five years. :rofl
My kids did eat most things but popcorn was just not worth the clean up job for them. Popcorners are really good I prefer them to regular popcorn I hope you all enjoy them as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:29 pm 

My kids got braces at the same time. There is a perk to waiting until they are teenagers - the Orthodontist is close enough to the high school that they can walk there :banana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:36 am 

I checked out the popcorners website and saw that their ingredients include milk. :(
Does anyone know of any that are dairy, egg and nut free?
I'd love to have
alternate "healthy snacks."

boys' mom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:20 pm 

Great news! :happydance Today I discovered that Quaker makes two "types" of rice cake products. I was aware of their Crispy Minis series...but didn't realize that there is a "Crispy Minis LARGE original flavor (no seasoning)" rice cake. So look for the Crispy Minis variety in your supermarket and see if they have the large ones there. These are apparently made in a nut, milk and egg-free environment, as the current label only indicates "Whole Grain Brown Rice" and no other warnings. Here is the link to the PepsiCo site so you can see what the package looks like. http://www.pepsico.ca/en/brands/Quaker.html

Remember: Check the label EVERY TIME, as we all know these products can suddenly change. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 am 

Great great news!! Thank you for posting this! We used to buy these all the time until the peanut warning appeared. I loved having an alternate to making our own bread all the time, so I am SO GLAD these are safe again :bouncygreen . I'm going to go look for them today!! Which grocery store did you find them in?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:10 am 

All the major supermarkets should carry them (if not, request they order them! :wink: ), but I found them at Walmart yesterday. Just be sure to check closely, because the ones that I found are the "Cripsy Minis" large cakes, NOT the regular Quaker rice cakes. The link I sent you will help you sort out what the packaging looks like.

You should have seen my daughter's face when I walked into the house with these!! Totally made her day. Such a simple thing, but it means alot when you are dealing with allergies! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:00 pm 

:bouncygreen :bouncygreen Yippee, bought them today at Walmart! I called Quaker to double check, and the CS rep indicated they label for "may contains" when required for all priority allergens. I'm so happy to have this food back! I can't believe there's only one ingredient: brown rice. Okay, maybe they are not the most exciting food, but it's nice to have something else available as a bread substitute. They are yummy with toppings that are safe for you... I like ham, havarti cheese, tomato and cucumber (and my kids like this too). So, if you find them bland, just top them and eat them like a sandwich. I also like to leave them in the car for emergency food, or take them on holidays so that at the end of the trip, when running low on bread, the rice cakes can be used.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses