You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:37 pm 

Hot off the presses ...

This study took place in the Netherlands. 116 children, double-blind placebo-controlled (best design).

76 /116 children did NOT actually have milk allergy, and milk was successfully reintroduced in most of them. Most of the children in the study were on milk-elimination diets due to "excessive crying". It is unclear if the allergy diagnosis had been made by a physician or the parents were trying the elimination diet on their own suspicions.

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-12-22.pdf

I think it's fair to say that if you have a young child who has an uncertain diagnosis, get a referral to an allergist ASAP to confirm the allergy! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup It is most important to see a qualified allergist and go through the process of determining whether it is an actual allergy! I cannot imagine restricting ones diet so drastically and going through all of the anxiety if it was not necessary. Unfortunately many people listen to their Dr's and don't question them. You really must advocate for your own health care and that of your children.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:39 pm 

I have discussion over 4 times with week with parents who are restricting their childs dairy intake because they believe they are 'lactose intolerant'(based on either their own observations or that of a naturopath or neighbour-no formal testing done).

It is such a loosely bantered around term (a little like ''allergic'') that it drives me nuts to think of them volunarily restricting their diet. Lactose intolerance is actually very rare to have in Caucasians if you are talking medically diagnosed (as opposed to the other diagnostic methods out there).

Self diagnosis just muddies the waters I think....if you are really worried about your child then take them to an allergist!

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.