You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:37 pm 

At the suggestion of our allergist, here's a place to put what foods we, or our kids, have tolerated after passing a baked milk or egg challenge. This is evolving research so please gather up this info and tell your allergist what has worked! Then maybe in a few years, they'll be able to give other parents some more clear-cut advice.

Our 1st baked milk food: Betty Crocker Devil's Food cake mix - requires 1 1/3 cup of liquid, so I used 2/3c milk, 2/3 c water, baked at 350 for 35 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:25 pm 

Momtobunches,
It is really exciting to see that you have passed the challenge. Where in Alberta are you? I am curious as to which Dr are starting to recommend baked egg challenges.
Thank you
Stephanie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:29 pm 

Our allergist is Dr. Stephen Cheuk, he is in SW Calgary.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:20 pm 

President's Choice Brownie's - subs 1 egg and for egg #2 used the baking powder, oil and water trick, no milk in this one. Everyone loved it. Still so very nervous to use too much egg......

Son - 6 yrs old - no allergies or asthma (Son6)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:36 pm 

Cinammon buns - used reciped from allrecipes.com, uses 1/2 cup milk. Baked at 375 for 30 minutes - he loves them!

Update Nov 18th - about 45 minutes after eating a bun, he started sneezing, getting a little itchy, red around the eyes and a little wheezy. We took him to Urgent Care as a precaution because he was very scared, and he was fine after about an hour. No meds given .... doc thinks it was a mild allergic reaction, and suggested we have antihistamines on hand (which we obviously do) but continue with the baked milk (which she has never heard of!).

Last edited by Momtobunches on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:51 pm 

So exciting for your son to be trying and LOVING these new foods. It must give you such a thrill to watch him experience these new foods. We have not tried baked egg with our son yet - his RAST number is still too high, but it gives us all such hope to hear of others positive experiences with the baked milk and baked egg! Thanks for sharing.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:51 pm 

Hi Julie - it might be worth asking about at your next visit - my son's RAST is still extremely high, but the allergist explained that it was the drop in the number that prompted the challenge (>100 to 58, normal range being 1-2)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:29 pm 

Blue Water Lemon-Herb fish filets, with "modified milk ingredients" on the label. Baked at 425 x 20 min.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:55 am 

Woohoo!! Chipits chocolate chips!!! (Milk ingredients on the label). Baked in banana bread (with 2 tbsp milk) for 55 minutes at 350.

No symptoms!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:15 pm 

Ghiradelli brownies (Costco - 4 pack). They have milk fat and milk listed on the box as ingredients in the chocolate chips. I was a little nervous since the chocolate chips themselves don't seem to be modified much during the baking process. Box suggested to bake at 325 for 45-50 mins, but I baked instead at 350 for 40-45 mins. Turned out fine - and he had no reaction! They're even yummier than the ones that I've been making him all these years....

Note - the box also says that it's processed on equipment that also processes tree nuts, and my ds is allergic to tree nuts as well. No reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 pm 

I'm eager to add my own to this list.. My daughter has a baked egg challenge mid-May because her scratch test was much better last time (still pretty bad - but better). This would actually be the first time I use a whole egg for anything, considering I never go to the egg white stage of introducing egg, because she reacted right away to the yolk... I'm going to make a bathc of muffins and keep my fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:42 pm 

Good luck!!! It's an exciting appointment, for sure. I was amazed how willing my ds was to do it. And that he agreed to continue to ingest it despite the tingling in his mouth during the challenge.

He's passed another recipe - 1 cup of milk :frightened (most I've tried) along with 1 tbsp lemon juice to make a buttermilk substitute. Incorporated into a white cake 2 1/2c flour, 2 c sugar (used 1/2 Splenda), 4 egg whites + bkg powder, etc.

VERY fluffy, yummy cake! And no reaction!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:25 pm 

Hi, my son is going for a baked milk challenge next week. He is milk and egg allergic (outgrew his other allergies by age 13, including a peanut allergy.)

Did the allergist provide any protocol specifics:
- quantity
- temperature to heat/bake i.e. minimum 350 degrees
- time to bake i.e. minimum 30 minutes
- proportions i.e. 1/2 cup milk per 2 cups flour
- next steps i.e. serve daily portion X, increase after X days/weeks?

I'll be asking my allergist too, just wanted to see if there were any published standards. They gave us the info for the baked challenge itself, but no specifics beyond that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 pm 

Wow, that's exciting! Our allergist never provided any guidelines beyond 350 degrees for 30 min minimum. After ds passed (story in the other thread), he told me to go online to find what other kids are able to tolerate due to the fact that this is relatively new, and studies are still in the early stages so the docs don't have any firm guidelines yet.

That is why I started this thread - so that other parents have a place to see what other kids are tolerating. He never recommended a daily amount, or increasing amounts, 6 months out we are still trying new things, and I try to increase the proportion of milk / soy milk if I bake the same cake again. Which reminds me .... I have a new food to report!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:54 pm 

POGOs!!!! You know the frozen corn dogs? Whey powder (contains MILK) and Modified Milk Ingredients are on the label as being in the batter. They are "baked" in the oven for 18 minutes at 400 degrees. DS not only loved them, he had no reaction :P