You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Egg free pasta?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:06 pm 

I'm finding new egg warnings springing up on all the pasta packages at the grocery store. Can anyone recommend some safe pastas for the egg allergic?
(my son can eat eggs baked in muffins but pasta has giving him hives with the may contain egg warning)

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

Post subject: Re: Egg free pasta?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

We eatL
Y&Y brand chow mein noodles that are labelled "No Eggs"
Rizopia brown rice pasta
Tinkiyada rice pasta

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 pm 

We stick to Tinkyada brown rice pasta when dealing with egg allergies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm 

Hi ginger, We buy the PC Organics spaghetti, rotini and penne. We also buy the Rizopia rice pasta, and Y&Y eggless noodles Susan mentioned. Actually, of course I'm glad we have a few choices, but I've been finding the lack of pasta choices out there to be depressing. For about 2-3 months, we couldn't find the PC spaghetti, and I thought, for sure, that was it, and maybe there aren't enough people out there eating it, so they must have pulled it. I had intended on calling, but it was during the busy summer months. Then, all of a sudden, there is was! Back on the shelf! I bought 8 boxes that day! There is a company I'm thinking of calling, but haven't done so yet: De Cecco. Their pasta is made in Italy, and there is no warning, and I've looked at every single box of De Cecco, and I don't see anything made with eggs, so I would like to call. I would just like to have other options because when I couldn't get the PC Organics spaghetti for such a long time, I just felt really disappointed to lose that product and I realised how much we rely on it. And, of course, we can only buy it at our Superstore, so it's very limited.

Sorry for the long-winded answer!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 am 

Julie - did you ever end up calling DeCecco? That is one of the brands I have been using, and also haven't called either. My son has egg allergy and milk allergy and I breastfeed him and even though he refuses to eat pasta, I still make sure that the pasta I eat does not contain egg.
I have used the PC Organics as well, and the Rizopia, but I haven't seen the Y&Y or the Tinkyada.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

We purchased a basic pasta machine and use our bread maker to mix the pasta dough. In this way, I can make all sorts of stuff from lasagna to ravioli!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:21 pm 

Susan, Oh wow, great idea!! Where did you get your pasta maker? I've thought it would be so much easier and safer to make our own, but didn't know where to start.

Mrs. Smith105, yes, I did email DeCecco, and the fellow was very helpful and interested, and indicated DeCecco "guarantees" the pasta will be egg-free, however, the pastas are run on the same line, so I wondered how they go about guaranteeing the "egg-free" status. As nice as this fellow was, and very interested, I never did hear back, so we've just continued with the PC Organics.

For the Y&Y, we buy ours at our local Real Canadian Superstore. It is in the "ethnic" food aisle - where the Asian noodles are found. They don't look like Italian noodles; rather, they are an Asian-style noodle. Good luck!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

You can pick up a basic pasta maker almost anywhere for $35.00 and up. Bed Bath & Beyond, Walmart-even Canadian Tire carries some styles. I like the hand crank style, then my kid can use it as well. You can pick up a ravioli press at the same places. It's quite simple to use and kids enjoy making them (they think they're playing)!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:21 pm 

Julie - thanks, I will probably stay away DeCecco too then.
I'll have to look for the Y&Y, but at least I can get Rizopia and PC Organics. Going to miss all the shapes that DeCecco has though :(

Susan - thanks for the info on pasta makers, I might look into that if I can find one!