You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Girl scout cookies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:09 am 

Has anyone looked at the ingredients in certain girl scout cookies? according to the label the only contact some have is through manufactoring. Could this honestly be true? you would think that they would have some milk ingredients? just curious. thanks :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:31 pm 

sarajo -- this was taken from the Girl Guides of Canada website at: http://www.girlguides.ca/default.asp?id=23
Quote:
Q. Are your cookies nut-free? Or vegan?
A. Girl Guide Girl Guide cookies are produced by Dare Foods Ltd. from peanut-free/tree nut-free ingredients in a peanut-free/tree nut-free bakery. This means that all ingredient suppliers are surveyed to ensure that the ingredients they provide are peanut- and tree nut-free, and further, only ingredients from these suppliers enter the baking facility.

Girl Guide chocolatey mint and classic cookies are not vegan. They contain milk ingredients. Further, Girl Guides is aware that some people have a serious allergy to milk and milk ingredients. Because of the serious nature of allergic reactions to milk, Girl Guides has followed the food industry practice of fully declaring the presence of milk-containing ingredients in the ingredient list featured on the cookie boxes. This allows consumers who are concerned with milk allergens to be aware that the chocolatey mint cookies and classic cookies do contain milk ingredients, and to take the necessary precautions.

Dare has put into place many policies and procedures. For more information about ingredients in Girl Guide cookies, please contact the Girl Guides Cookie Consumer Service Line at 1-800-507-7564, or e-mail: cookies@girlguides.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:38 am 

so the labeling law only affects certain things, just by looking at that label; she should be able to have them, since I know to double check the label, i didn't give her any....I am not sure the new law even helps me sometimes...thank you for your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:32 am 

sarajo -- I just realized, you said "Girl Scout" cookies -- I thought you were referring to Girl Guide cookies (Canadian made). Sorry I didn't read your original post correctly....I'm not sure of the ingredients in "Girl Scout" cookies. I'm not dealing with a milk allergy but I think that if they have milk contact through manufacturing like you mentioned in your original post, then they wouldn't be safe for your milk allergic daughter. Maybe someone else here who is dealing with milk allergy can offer input. You made reference to "the new labelling law" -- are you referring to the new US labelling laws? If yes, sorry I'm not sure what the provisions of the new US labelling laws are -- again, perhaps someone else here can advise....