You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:49 pm 

My docter told me today I cant have any dairy stuff and no nothing with MSG in it.
My food in take is getting limited. I need help bad and I dont know how soon I can see my allergist.Has anyone ever had a docter or an alergist tell them they have this ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:43 pm 

I have heard of the word but didn't really realize what it was (until I googled it just now).

There are pictures of it at http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/result.cfm?Diagnosis=22.

There is a very brief definition at http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15913.

A tiny bit more info is at http://www.hon.ch/Library/Theme/Allergy/Glossary/urticaria.html.

But that diagnosis doesn't appear to explain your other symptoms (the pain in your chest, etc.). I hope you get to see an allergist soon.

K.

Post subject: THANK YOU
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:03 am 

For the links. its like a tightining feeling in my chesta nd in my back like some one is holding me way to tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:52 pm 

Yep, I have that condition. My allergist scratched my back with a tongue depressor and it hived up. (but I knew about this before that). I think often goes along with a lot of allergies--my dermographism isn't very severe, so it doesn't really bother me. Other than the fact that I get hives if my skin is scratched it doesn't impact my life in any way. No...actually...that isn't *quite* true. People with dermographism are more likely to have chronic hives for no particular reason (I think I react to particular triggers, however).
My allergist doesn't view my scratch tests as very accurate because my skin is reactive. I find that annoying because there isn't really any way of getting a diagnosis for allergies that aren't severe. (I think some allergists, though, do a pinprick without any solution and they take that into account when analysing the pinprick test.)

One of my sisters is also dermagraphic and she has a lot of allergies. An aunt, on the other hand, is dermagraphic but has no food allergies. She does have environmental allergies (+ asthma, I think) and is sensitive to MSG.

Post subject: Hi Helen
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:59 pm 

I cant have anything with msg in it and dairy also. I get blotchy walking OUT SIDE and going into the store.I went to the bus station and my tounge swelled up on me JUST FROM walking in side their.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:09 am 

I have a rather server case of dermatographism, an ER doctor at my local hospital actually told me i had it... i was in for an asthma attack, and him diagonsng it is probably the ONLY good story i have about the hospital.

for a few years before i was told what i had my sister would often look very shocked at the marks on my skin and nag me about scratching, so it was such a relief to have a name for it. there isn't a lot of info about so i had to go to a dermatologist to help me deal with it.

the VERY tricky part about it is that i'm alleric to benadryll so treatment hasn't been working so well. I'm on Ractine and Doxipine daily But it's only helping to a point, and it's gets VERY embaressin when co-workers ask me "dusty what the heck did you DO?" and i'm like "bleep!! is it that bad!?"

. I've NEVER thought that the flare ups could be food related. I think I'm going to have to start keeping a food diary again!

I'm so glad I stumbled acros this page cause now i have another culprate to look into now! this is GREAT!!

Post subject: dustytiger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:07 am 

I sent you a private message hope youget back to me soon. Reen