You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:41 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: Toronto
I've started this thread because I'm curious about how people here with sulphite allergy figured out the allergy.
There are very few allergists who test for sulphites as such.

If you were tested - how was it done?

Or was this just deduced(alone or with an allergist) from allergic reactions to food/products such as dried fruits or wines?

_________________
Allergic to soy, peanut, shellfish, penicillin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 4
Location: Edmonton
My fiance deduced sulphite reaction by trial and error. In March he went to an allergist, who said there's no test available for sulphite allergy/sensitivity. By the way, if something can cause an anaphalactic reaction, why isn't it an allergy? The medical community classifies any sulphite reaction as a sensitivity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:37 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: Toronto
Karen, fyi, re why sulphite reactions aren't called allergy per se. This is from an article in Allergic Living mag on sulphites:

Quote:
Unlike the other food groups on the list, sulphites are chemicals, not proteins. Researchers don't yet know whether sulphites cause the immune systems of some people to respond abnormally or whether they set off some other mechanism that causes allergic-like reactions.


The whole story is here: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=28

_________________
Allergic to soy, peanut, shellfish, penicillin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:00 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Bath, U.K.
I have a sulphite sensitivity and have had it since childhood. I don't remember ever being tested for at any point. I was diagnosed through basic deduction / medical observation, which was relatively easy since I have a reaction every time shortly after ingesting it.

_________________
D
Like a patient etherised upon a table...
Anaphylaxis, asthma, allergic contact dermatitis, rhinitis, urticaria, oral allergy syndrome


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:31 pm
Posts: 29
I was very interested in whether it could be tested for, but the chemical v. protein thing makes sense. I'm having an aha moment.

I realized it was sulfites on a US allergy discussion board after posting that I seemed to be allergic to white white recently.

My sulfite reactions are very similar to my reactions to crustaceans. My first symptom (and this is with sesame, too) is this spaciness. It feels like I've had a glass of wine--so of course it would be difficult to tell the spaciness from a reaction apart from the result of having wine. Then either twenty minutes or two hours later I get GI symptoms.

With sulfites I also feel horrible the next day.

I vomited once. I had three glasses of pinot grigio over the course of five hours (including dinner), and later that night I vomited, and the next day I felt absolutely horrible.

I consider myself "allergic."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:44 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2928
Location: Toronto
I've got what I loosely refer to as an "alcohol intolerance", but I still wonder about sulphites and do wish you could test for it. I know several others who have different reasons to be suspicious about sulphites. It's a hard one to pin down.

I enjoyed a glass or two of wine or a beer for many years (I'm a journalist, it's almost a prerequisite). But in recent years, I've developed breathing symptoms and often hives on my face if I drink wine or beer. So I've stopped drinking. The allergist said it could be sulphites - but also has doubts since I don't react to some other foods with sulphites.

He said I could have a problem with one of about 40 different chemicals in wine or - it could be alcohol-induced asthma. I rather wonder about the latter, my brother has it. But how to explain the hives?

Weird. All I know is that it's booze-related. If I avoid it, zero symptoms.

_________________
Allergic to soy, peanut, shellfish, penicillin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:53 pm
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada
I have problems with alcohol too. I just don't feel well . . . the last time I had a drink was years ago--I figured vodka and orange juice would be fairly safe, but it made me feel unwell, and I felt horrible the next day and couldn't keep any food in my stomach in the morning. I have no idea if it is sulphites or what---grapes, actually, have started to make my mouth itch a bit even when cooked. But raisins in baked goods seem to be fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group