You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:49 am 

My 4 year old was FINALLY diagnosed with a latex allergy. There was suspicion after he complained of itchy lips after blowing up balloons last September. Shortly afterwards he developed a rash from his underwear..which would become hives from pants.

His skin prick was positive this past June (yes, it took that long to get him tested, long story).

Anyways..

We are coping well, sorta, right now. But, he's reactive to clothing. And, well, they don't list 'latex' on the label of clothing elastic. I call companies (if I can get a number or website) and they won't give me a straight answer. Basically, it's trial and error- and it's terrible!!

He's off to SK this year. I'm very anxious. We have a letter from Children's now from the allergist regarding what is to be done for him (latex free erasers, elastics etc in rooms he frequents). In all honesty, how on earth is the school going to keep him safe? How can they control this? I don't have a clue. I mean, gym class? All their balls will have to be replaced???

He carries his epipens around his waist.

If there is anyone else in this position, I'd like to talk.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 pm 

Fourfallbabies, I just wanted to give you a :huggy and let you know I understand your anxiety and concern as you adjust to this diagnosis. I'm sorry to hear your son is allergic to latex. I can't give you any specific advice as this is not one we are dealing with, but I just wanted to let you know that I feel for you and what you are going through. Is your son contact-allergic only, or will it be a problem if he is in the gym with these balls? I realise he is very young, so trying to keep him away from a ball, at this age, would be very tough. Do they make latex-free balls? You have 4 weeks until school starts... I'm sure you could meet with the Principal and probably his teacher 2 weeks before school begins (this is what we do with our son). Until then, if you can source out available non-latex options for the school, I'm sure this would be a huge help. Two weeks before school begins, any information you can provide can be passed along to the school. It would be best if your son only uses his own "safe" school supplies to ensure he is kept away from latex (much like you would do with food). Have you found any 100% cotton underwear yet? It must exist, but I'm sure you will pay more for underwear withhout the latex elastic. I'm sure others on this forum can help you out. :huggy to you as you begin your search for safe options for you son.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses