You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: OAS - Apple Juice
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:36 pm 

My husband recently reported that he started having issues with Apple Juice. He is allergic to many things. I am wondering if apple juice could create the same reaction as raw apple and if he could potentially try cooked apple.

Post subject: Re: OAS - Apple Juice
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:04 pm 

Hi - welcome to the forum!

Is the juice pasteurized? If so I believe the process is similar to cooking as it's exposed to very high temps. I think most regular juice is pasteurized but some from a health food store may not be - it should say on the label.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 pm 

I cannot eat any raw fruit at all without getting a tight feeling in my chest and having breathing trouble. I also usually get small pimples (blisters?) on my lips after eating fruit. A few months ago I also started having the same problems after drinking both apple and orange juice. It was frozen concentrate so most likely heat treated but depending on the time of year and concentrations of allergens I also cannot eat cooked apples.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:40 pm 

I had a domino effect for the past 2 weeks, which started with apples: Used to have only GI/mouth symptoms for OAS, except for apples that would trigger chest tighness and asthma. 2 months ago, I started to react to cooked apples, apple juice, and a tiny bite of a muffin that contained small bits of cooked apple sent me home choking for hours...

2 weeks ago I have severe GI rxn to fresh lime, 2 days later severe asthma/swollen throat to orange juice, 2 days later same thing to grapes, 4 days later to peanut butter, 2 days later to soy milk...

Now on prednisone and Zantac for the next 2 weeks, hopefully will stop reacting to everything that belong to that specific pollen family!! Yesterday I had GI reaction to Special K, I think bc of fructose in it, tonight I just reacted to zucchinis (that one I'm not sure why)...

That being said, I know our bodies don't react the same way, but mine is now in a spin-off that brings severe anaphylaxis symptoms (went to ER Monday). So you can't be too careful with this thing!

DD 9 yo : dairy, asthma, SPD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:56 pm 

Hmm that is weird that apple juice would cause that unless it is the all natural non-pasteurized variety. Have you looked at the ingredients for sulphites, nitrites or other preservatives? Sometimes these can cause bad reactions for people.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Chantale, sure hope things have improved with winter's onset. Ever been checked out for "true" IgE fruit allergies? Can be OAS - but also in Europe IgE fruit allergies are extremely common.

Re OAS, juice, etc. We have loads of information on Allergicliving.com about OAS and fruit allergies, with input from leading experts. You ladies should have a look.

Under "Food Allegy" on the green bar above, there's a big fruit and veg. allergy section. Or just go to: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/cat ... vegetable/

This article gets into explaining cooked vs. raw: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... out-fruit/

This one explains the whole science behind OAS: http://allergicliving.com/?p=277

Re juice: Remember that OAS to apples isn't always avoided by getting rid of the peel. Some people can only eat apples if they are at least slightly cooked/microwaved. In those individuals, allergists Dr. Antony Ham Pong and Dr. Bruce Mazer have told Allergic Living that the peeled fruit or the juice will still cause mouth/throat symptoms.

Also riper apples are more allergenic, as are certain varieties. As one of our stories notes:

Quote:
And speaking of apples, Granny Smith and Golden Delicious have proven to be more allergenic than other varieties.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:05 pm 

I saw another allergist last month and he retested me for the common allergens. Birch was off the charts which explains why I react to most fruits. When I asked about apples he gave an offhand remark- but you can eat apple pie right? I said no, I can't eat any apples, cooked or raw. He just said oh, avoid them then. Not too much information was forthcoming from him. I have avoided all fruit for 6 months and decided to try a piece of pear a few days ago and the stomach pains are still really bad so no fruit at all for me again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 am 
Site Admin

dalbai wrote:
When I asked about apples he gave an offhand remark- but you can eat apple pie right? I said no, I can't eat any apples, cooked or raw. He just said oh, avoid them then. Not too much information was forthcoming from him.

:banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:02 pm 

I have OAS to raw apples and I also have a problem with apple juice, even if it is pasteurized. I think maybe it has something to do with it still not being cooked enough? I'm not sure. I still don't even fully understand my OAS, because I don't get the itchy, swollen lips or a scratchy throat. I only get horrible stomach cramps, even from eating the tiniest bit of raw apple or drinking the smallest sip of apple juice.

Other Allergies: Mold, pollen, hay, dust, penicillin, and angora (goat) fur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:58 am 

I too have OAS that has crossed the bridge from OAS to full blown anaphylaxtic risk. My allergist tells me that I am of the 1-2% who cross react between tree pollen and fruits. Of those 1-2%, I am of the 1% who have an anaphylactic reaction to raw fruits (multiple fruits). Then, to top that, I am further a 1% of that group who have an anaphylactic reaction risk to the cooked fruits. Needless to say, a RARE section of the population.

It's quite uncommon, but NOT unheard of. You should have seen the hives/whelts from the skin tests from potatoes, peaches, apples, cherries, pears, plums - heck, anything with a pit is now out of my diet, as is most north American native fruits - raw or cooked. So not worth the reaction. My allergist had to spread out the testing due to how bad it was and would only test for 5 items at a time because of how badly I would react - She wasn't going to risk me going anaphylactic from a skin test in her office!

To let you know, here is my full list of no go foods: tree nuts (especially hazelnuts, almonds and pecans), potatoes, peaches, plums, cherries, apricots, (all pitted fruits actually), apples, pears, kiwi, strawberries, pumpkins. Latex allergy risk as well, and for added fun - family history of celiac disease.

Dawne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 pm 

Dawne - thank you for posting your list for a selfish reason that it makes my daughter feel less alone in her allergies which are almost identical to yours (plus many vegetables). Sometimes she has wondered if others have to avoid so much of "the good stuff"! She already had an anaphylactic reaction to produce.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:54 am 

Not a problem walooet! It's actually nice to know that I'm not alone either! The real kicker for me with all of this though, is that I've been enjoying everything for over 30 years before I developed the anaphylactic range of allergies to them. It's been a whole lifestyle change for me, and one for my family too. Thankfully, there is only a couple things that have had to been completely purged from the house - 1) potatoes, 2) nuts (though I do allow the kids their nutella) and 3) shell fish (although I did NOT test positive to this, the extreme asthma attack I had while dh was cooking scallops - well, I'm sure you can see why we banned it).

D

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)