You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:46 pm 

I've heard that oats (from North America) can be cross contaminated with wheat or soy because of the way they are harvested. Does anyone know if that is true? Does anyone out there react to oats and also to wheat or soy? I think I have a mild allergy to oats.

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:56 pm 

To reply to my own posting :lol: ---yes, oats can be contaminated with wheat. (After asking the question it struck me that I could probably easily find information about this online.) I don't know about soy though (the sites I looked at have to do with celiac disease rather than allergies). And I'd be interested in hearing about whether anyone reacts to oats because of another allergy. My wheat allergy isn't all *that* severe so I wouldn't think that the cross contamination would be a major issue but one never knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:23 am 

As far as harvesting, wheat and rye and oats are all very similar plants. Ryeberries, wheatberries, and oat groats are also similarly sized, so from the combine to the mill, it's easy to get the stuff contaminated (they require similar growing conditions, as well).

Soybeans require different equipment and are a completely different size. There's not much harvest contamination.

Contamination can occur for any of these in a mill that does all the milling in an open area or that packages in one area--any ground grain (flour/powder) will go airborne and sneak into every little crevice.

I've not had to worry too much about soy contaminating flours. Soy generally goes to a different plant, etc.

I *have* found soybeans in my lentils, barley in my lentils, wheatberries in my dried peas, etc. Always dried, packaged stuff--never canned. I've found soybeans in barley, too, but I haven't bought barley in ages. That's all a packaging plant issue and very easy to resolve--just check over dried grains/legumes carefully before cooking. It's good to get in the habit--rocks and twigs are often in there, too.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:46 am 

Thanks so much! I'll mention this possibility to my allergist the next time I go in...which is next week.