You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:38 pm 

I have a story to tell about my peanut allergy. I am 13 years old and have been at my elementry school for 5 years. All the studants in my grade are really good about my allergy. But, last year we got a new studant and the teacher handed out all the news letters about how you can't bring in any peanut or nut products. The teacher even talked to this new studant one-on-one to make sure she got the message. And she did. about a month later, at snack time, she got out her snack and started eating an O'Henery bar in class and she sat right beside me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( All the studants in the class started yelling at her and the teacher came in all worried. My teacher was really good about it, she brought me to the office, called my mom and told me everything was going to be ok. The janitor cleaned everything up and the girl got all washed and got rid of the chocolate bar with huge chunks of peanuts in it. I was ok, I didn't have a reaction but it was really scary! The girl left the school the following year. I was wondering has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? Lauren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:24 pm 

Not at school---when I was in highschool, there weren't any precautions in place (no epipen in the office even . . . I didn't think of informing my teachers!) But it has taken family members awhile to get it . . . my grandparents even would eat nuts in front of us. I had to ask them to put the nuts in the cupboard all the time and even then they would eat them when my sisters and I weren't in the room. In part, I think they didn't really understand. At Christmas one of my sisters had a heart to heart talk with my grandmother about it. When I visited in the summer, I didn't have to say anything---my grandparents didn't eat any nuts for the duration of my visit. They even thought to stop eating nuts after having the house vacuumed.

It is sometimes hard to tell whether people don't take it seriously or whether they don't understand or whether it is a bit of both!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:48 am 

What I don't get first of all is how her parents let her bring a candy bar to school as a snack. My kids have never taken a candy bar to school, even after Hallowe'en!

Besides, their elementary school has a rule stating that unhealthy snacks are not allowed, like no candy, no pop, no chocolate, which is a rule I applaud. If the teachers see an unhealthy snack, the child has to take it back home.

And second of all, not only is it an unhealthy snack, but an unsafe one! This leads me to think that the parents don't supervise what goes in the lunch box, or worse, they just don't care!

At least your school took it seriously.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:22 am 

Hi Lauren, It's great that your friends were ready to defend you.

I had a similar situation recently. We had a guest staying in our home for a few weeks. We went for a walk and he bought chocolate bars for everyone - including a Bounty Bar for himself. We were walking home and he ate his Bounty Bar. Then, less then a block from my home he tells me he bought himself a second candy bar....for later. When I didn't respond, he says "I know you don't like the peanuts, but I do so I bought a peanut butter bar." I still didn't respond. He kept pushing about buying a peanut butter bar to eat later (in my home). Finally, I just couldn't take it any more.

I told him it had nothing to do with liking or not liking peanuts -- it was the fact that they would kill me. And, I couldn't care less what he eats, just don't eat that poison in MY home. Looking like a petulant child, he took out the candy and ate it. When he walked in the door I told him to wash his hands. He wanted to put his stuff away first -- but I wouldn't let him. I felt silly treating a man in his fifties this way, but really, he was acting very childish.

I spent the rest of his visit worried about what he'd bring into my home. He's gone now, but promised to come back *real soon*. :roll: Also, when I cleaned the guest room up I wore rubber gloves.

Odd thing is, being an adult with food allergies, I really don't worry much about what other people eat. One of my son's brought a Reese's PB Cup in once. He stood over the sink to eat it, and washed up (including the sink) when he was done. I wasn't upset. Other people occasionally sit at the kitchen table eating my allergens - but again, everything is washed up. I've never gotten upset with anyone. Usually people decide it's not worth doing a second time because they worry I'll have a reaction, and they say it just doesn't taste as good in my home. :lol:

I was just soooo mad because this guest chose to eat the safe bar walking and eat the pb bar in my home -- and to repeatedly point this out to me. It made me not trust him to be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:36 pm 

Well, AnnaMarie, I guess this guest won't be coming back anytime soon!!

If only it was just that you didn't like peanuts... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:51 pm 

Well Nicole, the problem is he will be back. He came for two weeks the fall of 2005, one week spring 2006, and two weeks in August. He works double shifts, lots of extra hours and saves them so he can come to Canada. He still hasn't seen a real *Canadian winter* so I expect him between December and February. (Please, please, not for Christmas.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:09 am 

Oops, maybe you'll conveniently be away this Christmas.... :lol:

(Personnally, I'm dreading Christmas at the in-laws. My MIL HAS to bake and every single thing she bakes at Christmas has nuts. You see, with her, it's tradition, and you can't break a 50-year old tradition just because your grand-daughter may or may not be allergic to peanuts. :x )

I just read the following document from Health Canada. Perhaps you could mail your guest a copy and underline "complete avoidance is necessary". I know I will give a copy to my MIL.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/ad ... _86_e.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:50 am 

That is awful that so many of you have people so close to you willing to risk your health. At the same time I'm not surprised; dh's family would open a can of mixed nuts in front of him at the table. :( :cry: and one of dh's friends had picked up a brazil nut at the bar and put it on dh's table just to "tease him" :x :evil: :x

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental